cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inside tire valve extensions

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Went to get the motorhome out of our storage garage today. My TPS system usually takes a minute or two to kick in once driving. The low pressure alarm went off. My motorhome says to keep tire pressure at 90psi but I normally keep them a few PSI above 90. My right rear inside tire was indicating 62 PSI and the other 5 tires were between 93-96 psi. I only live about 4 miles from my house so I drove slow and parked in the driveway. I have a big air compressor in my storage garage but I have a small one at the house. I was able to get the PSI in the low tire up to 76 PSI with my little compressor and drove slowly to a local tire place that does truck tires.

As soon as the tire guy came out, he said your problem is probably that tire valve extension. He said 90 % of the time, a slow leak on an inner tire is because of the valve extension. I don't know if he tightened the extension or put a new one on but he said its fixed now (so far PSI is the same).

Is this a common problem? If so, what is the fix? If there wasn't an extension I am scratching my head wondering how you air up the inner tire?

I guess I will know if the issue is fixed tomorrow but so far PSI hasn't changed on that tire since it cooled down from the drive home.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
12 REPLIES 12

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
With the Crossfire you can monitor 2 tires at the same time and easily fill both. As an added bonus the pressures are always equal. If you have a blowout the remaining tire maintains pressure.

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like I am still having the issue with the tire. Not sure if it's the valve extender or not at this point. The leak is very slow but after the motorhome sits several days, it loses several PSI.

I currently have the motorhome at a local shop to get some work done on it and they are going to check the tire. There is a tire place right down the road that can work on motorhome tires so hopefully I can get this fixed permanently. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the steel braded flexible extensions on my coach for 20 years with no problems. Ya think there might be something about installing them correctly?

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another vote for

https://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796/dually-valve-kits
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a pair of these, I'm glad that I did! Be sure to order the correct pressure.

Crossfire

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
MetalGator wrote:
,,,Is this a common problem?,,,

It can be a problem but having extensions should not be a reason not to inspect the tire for damage such as nails or a sidewall abrasion along with checking the valve stem seal and the extension. A little soapy water goes a long way with the confidence that the trip will be uneventful.

I've had two leaks. The valve stem seal that went while going down the road before I had a TPMS (destroyed the tire before I could get off the road) and a slow leak at the bead seal, post TPMS, after new tires were installed. Not had any problems with the extensions.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
I have learned the hard way that extensions are just another possible
problem.

The best solution is a new stem specially shaped to bring the end out
where you want it.

They are available at the link above, here it is again.

Dually Valves

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry cad wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
Two very common issues
Tire valve extensions especially the flexible kind (more on that in a bit)
And screw on TPMS sensors.

I went with Dully Valves on my Rig when I put on new shoes (Tires) they are metal and are really very long or very bent valve stems. Loved those things.

I think John meant to say "DUALLY VALVES"

Dually Valves

I ordered the dually kit from yourtireshopsupply.com (link above) and it was one of the best things I've done for my rig. I was having trouble with extensions....the one piece valve stems are the way to go and work well with TPMS sensors.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
Two very common issues

I went with Dully Valves on my Rig when I put on new shoes (Tires) they are metal and are really very long or very bent valve stems. Loved those things.

I think John meant to say "DUALLY VALVES"

Dually Valves
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I put metal valve extensions(from NAPA) on my MH. When I screwed them on it began to leak. I backed off a couple turns until the leak stopped. Haven't had a problem in 20k miles.
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

two_travelers
Explorer
Explorer
I also had problems with the flexible extender. It only leaked when driven was found quite by accident by my mechanic. When I got new tires, I went with solid extenders on all wheels.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two very common issues

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times