cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How important is level with residential fridge

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sometimes bring our motorhome to our house (we keep it in a local storage garage) to load it the night before a trip. Our driveway has a slight slant to it towards the road. When I back in and park, if I use the leveling jacks the front tires come off the ground an inch or two. I don't like doing that so I usually drive over a couple of ramps I made and then extend the levelers. I always do this if I put the slides out.

My question is, if I don't put the slides out, how important is getting the motorhome level for the residential fridge? When I had our travel trailer, it had an absorption fridge that would run on propane and I always made sure the trailer was as level as possible. Is this also important with a residential fridge that has a compressor?

Tonight I put the motorhome in the driveway and got it as level as I could with the jacks without getting the front tires off the ground. It almost level but still leans towards the front a bit.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)
5 REPLIES 5

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Obviously it can't lay on it's side but exactly level isn't really a requirement anymore. These things run going down the road and endure the rigors of the road without issue. I've been in plenty of old houses where the weight of the fridge has sloped the floor and fridge keeps running.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen this question here a lot... And I'm not sure of the answer. You obviously won't have the same problems (as with an absorption fridge) if off level, and it probably doesn't matter for a little while. But - our home A/C had gone off level by a bit over time and when we looked it up to see if it mattered we found this:

"Another reason that the condensing unit must be level has to do with the oil that mixes with the refrigerant. Thereโ€™s always some oil that escape the compressor and travels with the refrigerant through the lines.

As long as the unit is level, this oil comes back to the compressor and gets redeposited where itโ€™s needed. However, if the unit isnโ€™t level, then the oil may separate from the refrigerant and end up pooling in the lines and coils.

Over time, this can lead to a shortage of oil in the compressor, causing damage and overheating. Additionally, oil coating the inside of the coils can make it harder for heat to transfer, decreasing the systemโ€™s efficiency."

Link to site.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A slight slant.. On an RV fridge they say 3 degrees. I once worked out how far out of level, side to side, with an 8' wheel base 5 inches over 8 feet is just shy of 3 degrees and thus acceptable.

On a residential fridge. The cooling system will work no matter the angle. However modern Residential units are "Frost Free" or so they falsely claim.

They still frost. but after the compressor shuts off a heater melts the frost and it drains down from the Freezer to the Fridge and then down into an evaporation pan under the fridge..

Off level by a MAJOR amount can prevent the drainage. espically if it tipped Towards you (Front down) and it can cause the evaporation pan to overflow onto the floor no matter the angle (The drains are at the rear of the Fridge) .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is not a 'residential' fridge but is an all-electric 12V/AC compressor fridge and it doesn't need to be level.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
"for the residential fridge"? If you have a fridge that is the same as the one you have in your residence, then it is an electric only compressor type that does not have to be level. If you have a standard gas/electric fridge that comes in your basic travel trailer, then it needs to be "somewhat" level. It doesn't have to be perfect but, as was described before, level enough to where you feel comfortable in it.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch