cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Armoured extension cord

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I need an armoured extension cord to power my RV at home, but I need it to cross the driveway, so it will be run over by the vehicles. Any suggestions?
49 REPLIES 49

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Iโ€™m confusedโ€ฆbut good luck in your solution.

Is this a statement of current condition or an ongoing problem? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Little of both! Lol
But now mostly confused that the OP appears to have power at the ready, or almost at the ready right where he wants itโ€ฆ
Pic is worth 1000 words, literally, for this query.

EXACTLY, sometimes the info given is not enough to give a proper answer.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Little of both! Lol
But now mostly confused that the OP appears to have power at the ready, or almost at the ready right where he wants itโ€ฆ

OP here. I didn't want it permanent. However, it seems that putting in an outlet is the cheaper option.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
RedRollingRoadblock wrote:
Three pieces of 1X4 or some 3/4 inch plywood by how ever long your need. Lay two pieces on either side of the cord and bridge the gap and cord with the third. Secure with small screws, washers and nuts.

X2!!

I wish you could do multiple quotes. This way because as others noted this is the way it's done by working men/women when we need to "do it right" on construction sites and trade shows
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's magnetic. Sort of settles that question ๐Ÿ™‚
Decades ago when I wired the hotel. I had a fit finding red plus black 6 gauge conductor for the 60-amp 254 volt service drop.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if what is being are calling a galvanized neutral is in instead aluminum.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Little of both! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Oh perfect!! You already have wire run in conduit over there. You should be able to get a standard 15a receptacle on that.

Depending on conduit size he might be able to pull thicker wire and give you a 30a setup. If you ever wanted to run heaters and stuff come winter 30a would be awesome.

If you post a picture of your service panel people here might be able to give advice on what to do. It could be really easy to put that outside junction box on its own 15 or 20a breaker. So its not sharing power with the house. I had to do that back home. We plug the trailer into the garage outlets. But it kept tripping the breaker. So i gave 1 outlet its own dedicated 20a breaker. The breaker was already there. Just had to swap wires around.

Ideally that outside junction box is already on its own circuit. Like you said it will be cheap to add an outlet right there.

Have you pulled the cover and taken a peek? Hopefully its not low voltage wire for outdoor lighting. If it looks like speaker wire then he will have to pull new wire.

The junction box does not seem to have a 3rd pop out spot. I may need a new one.

The power is on it's on breaker at the panel. There is also a power shut off in line, so isolating it is easy enough. It has been opened, and it is 120v heavy gauge wire.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting about the galvanized neutral. Its just to save cost? I would think with alternating current you would want the positive and neutral being similar in size. Look at something like 12/3 romex with a shared neutral. So i guess it dont matter. But then again theyre not really sharing the neutral at the same time.

Been years...trying to remember stuff i learned 20 years ago.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just for fun I'll mention life in Mexico

• Standard service drops are 30 amp 127 volt
  • Service drop cables are 1 8 gauge conductor and one 1/4" galvanized neutral
  • Premium service is a pair of 6 gauge conductors and a 3/8" galvanized neutral
  • Homeowners seldom extend meter wiring of the same gauge. Most cases it's 14AWG
  • So a single 14 gauge feeds the entire service. Every lamp, every outlet
  • Walk into a hardware store and ask for a circuit breaker or fuse other than 30-amps and they'll look at you like you're nuts
  • The principal catastrophe averter is that non-concrete homes are non-existent
  • Morning protocol assignment is inventive
  • First coffee, then will it be toast or another electric preparation?
  • Single use. One-by-one. And don't have a computer compiling when coffee, bacon, or a potato is being processed
  • Air conditioner? Hmmm you really want to complicate breakfast don't you?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I didnt. But good looking out.
Not saying i wouldnt though.
Never at a customers house.
But my own house, when the outlet is 24 inches away from the panel, eh...maybe.

Actually come to think of it. I just realized they have the trailer plugged into a diff outlet!!! Theyre not even using my dedicated 20a. I better warm them to go check the fridge!!! Gonna be a bummer if the breaker tripped and nobody noticed. Im not home to check.

Just to clarify for anyone following along i used to have my own trailer plugged into the garage. Using the microwave would sometimes trip it if my water heater or other stuff happened to be on at the same time.

Now currently its a different trailer with just the fridge on. I dont think they even know and remember i made one of the garage outlets our "trailer outlet".

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop wrote:
Oh perfect!! You already have wire run in conduit over there. You should be able to get a standard 15a receptacle on that.

Depending on conduit size he might be able to pull thicker wire and give you a 30a setup. If you ever wanted to run heaters and stuff come winter 30a would be awesome.

If you post a picture of your service panel people here might be able to give advice on what to do. It could be really easy to put that outside junction box on its own 15 or 20a breaker. So its not sharing power with the house. I had to do that back home. We plug the trailer into the garage outlets. But it kept tripping the breaker. So i gave 1 outlet its own dedicated 20a breaker. The breaker was already there. Just had to swap wires around.

Ideally that outside junction box is already on its own circuit. Like you said it will be cheap to add an outlet right there.

Have you pulled the cover and taken a peek? Hopefully its not low voltage wire for outdoor lighting. If it looks like speaker wire then he will have to pull new wire.

When you switched wires around. I hope that you didn't put #14 wires on a 20 amp breaker.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold