cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are you heading for Utah's National Parks?

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
13 REPLIES 13

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We did Arches, Zion, Canyonlands, and Bryce in May, and people were being turned away at Arches then. We would get up at 5:00AM to beat the crowds and get our hiking in before it got hot and crowded.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
so, is Zion open now?

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
A flash flood at Zion on June 29th (some rough language...) YouTube video

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
Southern Utah has been one of our favorite destinations for decades & I don't have any one that's a favorite. They're all fantastic & spectacular in their own ways. One year at Zion we were well into the narrow when there was a massive thunderstorm & flood, but we were high enough to be safe, just. The cliffs all around looked like they had sand pouring off them. A parks worker we spoke with said it's rare to get to experience that because they close the trail at the first hint of approaching rain. They had closed it just minutes after we started the hike.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I still prefer Arches over Zion by a wide margin. Hiking the Narrows was the highlight of my two brief Zion visits, but there are other slot canyons with less people. The scenery at Arches is spectacular IMO.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
PartyOf Five wrote:
Definitely suggest skipping Zion and going closer to winter. It's an urban nightmare: crowds, traffic, lines everywhere.
There are so many alternate options vs the big names. I'd send everyone to Canyonlands too.

We couldn't even get in last fall. If you wait until AFTER 3pm, your chances are better.

Last fall was a good time to go. You just had to get reservations. We did a couple days out.

They litterally ripped out every other seat on the shuttle busses, so it acted to limit crowds.

That explains the crowding reasons. Covid protocol. Having to remove the seats makes sense, since a lot of people can't seem to follow simple directions for their own safety. Thanks for the clarification.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
jdc1 wrote:
PartyOf Five wrote:
Definitely suggest skipping Zion and going closer to winter. It's an urban nightmare: crowds, traffic, lines everywhere.
There are so many alternate options vs the big names. I'd send everyone to Canyonlands too.

We couldn't even get in last fall. If you wait until AFTER 3pm, your chances are better.

Last fall was a good time to go. You just had to get reservations. We did a couple days out.

They litterally ripped out every other seat on the shuttle busses, so it acted to limit crowds.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We were at the Utah parks this past mid May and found them filling up then. We entered the line to get into Zion at 830am and was the last car. All the others we had no problem, just lucky I guess.

As I saw it, parking was the problem. All of the parking places for the major sights were just not big enough to handle the crowd. The small pull over sights were always empty so no problem.

I do not see the problem going away until someone comes up with a good fix. If they went to shuttles the welcome center parking lots are not large enough. Hope fully time will tell and folks again will be able to enjoy our great national parks.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
PartyOf Five wrote:

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not until the kids are back in school and families at home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Canโ€™t say Iโ€™ve personally seen much or any park/campground new construction in idk, forever? And I sort of watch the WA state parks advance schedule of contracts for projects to bid. (Not parks, but sometimes they have heavy civil type projects) Dont recall ever seeing a โ€œnewโ€ state park.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
PartyOf Five wrote:

I agree with you on Zion currently, but if you ever get the opportunity to explore Zion on an off month, it's the best park in Utah IMO.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.