Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Are you heading for Utah's National Parks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are you heading for Utah's National Parks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/arche........al-park-visitors-overcrowding/index.html

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely suggest skipping Zion and going closer to winter. It's an urban nightmare: crowds, traffic, lines everywhere.
There are so many alternate options vs the big names. I'd send everyone to Canyonlands too.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

Definitely suggest skipping Zion and going closer to winter. It's an urban nightmare: crowds, traffic, lines everywhere.
There are so many alternate options vs the big names. I'd send everyone to Canyonlands too.

I agree with you on Zion currently, but if you ever get the opportunity to explore Zion on an off month, it's the best park in Utah IMO.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can’t say I’ve personally seen much or any park/campground new construction in idk, forever? And I sort of watch the WA state parks advance schedule of contracts for projects to bid. (Not parks, but sometimes they have heavy civil type projects) Dont recall ever seeing a “new” state park.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/02/21 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not until the kids are back in school and families at home.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

We couldn't even get in last fall. If you wait until AFTER 3pm, your chances are better.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/21 02:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were at the Utah parks this past mid May and found them filling up then. We entered the line to get into Zion at 830am and was the last car. All the others we had no problem, just lucky I guess.

As I saw it, parking was the problem. All of the parking places for the major sights were just not big enough to handle the crowd. The small pull over sights were always empty so no problem.

I do not see the problem going away until someone comes up with a good fix. If they went to shuttles the welcome center parking lots are not large enough. Hope fully time will tell and folks again will be able to enjoy our great national parks.

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

PartyOf Five wrote:

We couldn't even get in last fall. If you wait until AFTER 3pm, your chances are better.

Last fall was a good time to go. You just had to get reservations. We did a couple days out.

They litterally ripped out every other seat on the shuttle busses, so it acted to limit crowds.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

PartyOf Five wrote:

Last fall was a good time to go. You just had to get reservations. We did a couple days out.

They litterally ripped out every other seat on the shuttle busses, so it acted to limit crowds.

That explains the crowding reasons. Covid protocol. Having to remove the seats makes sense, since a lot of people can't seem to follow simple directions for their own safety. Thanks for the clarification.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still prefer Arches over Zion by a wide margin. Hiking the Narrows was the highlight of my two brief Zion visits, but there are other slot canyons with less people. The scenery at Arches is spectacular IMO.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are you heading for Utah's National Parks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.