cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof and Slide Topper Cleaning

mikemc53
Explorer
Explorer
Well I just got to my place in Michigan (from Florida) with our new Gulf Stream Class C and pulled into the yard early this week. Now, my "yard" is really just an opening in the woods. Very heavy oak and pine area with no shelter, other than the trees. The trees are apparently in the midst of some very heavy dropping of very small seeds/pellets and they are everywhere. I can't recall this issue in previous years and I have had other RVs in my yard that didn't get anywhere near this messy but when I climbed up on the roof this morning I was stunned at the mess these seeds have made.

I swept the roof off but the staining is horrible and the slide topper is even worse as the water build up, from some rain, has made a mud type mixture that will not sweep off. I have never has this type of mess on a roof and my experience with rubber roofs is extremely limited so I am stuck on the best way to clean, both the roof and the topper. Obviously one of my concerns is that I don't want to damage either surface by scrubbing but I can't see how to get these stains off without using some elbow grease.

Thoughts?
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
8 REPLIES 8

Barothy
Explorer
Explorer
Certain parts of Michigan are in a midst of a Gypsy Moth invasion. The "pellets" you see are the waste product of the Gypsy Moth caterpillar feeding in the tree. There are many area's where the tree leaves have all been eaten and the tree is bare. Huge area's have trees looking like it is January. Pay attention to the road as you go through these area's. Tree's that are being eaten and overhang the road will have a red hue to the road from the staining from the waste. I would certainly move my rig to an open area if this is happening in your area.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/gypsy-moth-outbreaks-in-michigan

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know what you mean. I just recoated my roof with 2 coats of Rustoleum acrylic coating. After drying. stuff from my cedar trees fell on it and stained the new coating. After a month or so I got tired of looking at the stains so I got up on the roof and put car wash and warm water in a bucket and brushed the roof, let it set for 20 mins and then hosed it off. I usually put bleach in the water along with Ajax but because the coating was new I just used soap and water. I had to use a 1700 psi power washer to remove most of the stains and dirt, the hose did not do a good job. I wish I had another place to park it away from the trees.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just cleaned a RV roof for the first time a couple weeks ago.
Iโ€™m sure there are plenty of home brew combos that work great, but I just bought a jug of roof cleaner/conditioner. Put it on with a little pump up weed sprayer. Then pressure washed the roof off. Worked well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nasty product for cleaning gutters, not the leafs, but the paint, as gutter paint gets the same stain for overflowing water that is ugly from the same decomposing water.

It might give you cancer before your roof stains again so wear a haz-mat suit and a respirator.

It will clean your roof like new.
I think any good hardware store will have this, just ask an employee.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Donโ€™t believe in pressure washers as mostly they are not needed. If you have a garden sprayer, mix up a batch of water, Dawn dish washing liquid ( a couple of really really good squirts) , and a cup of bleach per gallon of water. Go up on roof and spray the mixture on the roof and slide toppers, brush with a medium brush, let it set for about 15 minutes for the bleach to work, and then rinse liberally. If there are any spots left repeat on those areas.

Next, build a carport for the RV. (Include a power plug of at least 30 amps).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
Over here in Wisconsin the seeds , pollen, bud caps, everything trees related have been horrible this year.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
About the only things I would use would be my 1,600 psi electric pressure washer with the lowest pressure tip. But first I would try my RV brush. It's a brush with handle that attaches to a hose. Clean and rinse at the same time.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried a mild dish soap solution with soft brush? Remember that RVs roofs donโ€™t need to be pretty.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad