Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Question: too much camper - too little truck
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question: too much camper - too little truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
kenkorona

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I measured how much the rear sags when I load the camper onto the truck. Measured at the centerline of the rea axle, it drops 4.5 inches. Is that something airbags or Sumo Springs can fix? Or is that a level that would require a more drastic mod?

TIA

jimh406

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 08:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags can definitely raise the rear 4.5 inches. Keep in mind most trucks have a rake (high in rear), so you might not want to go all of the way back to 4.5 inches.

Sumo springs, Timbrens, or Supersprings could also work.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if I would be concerned with a few inches of sag. It takes a couple just to even engage the overloads on our truck and if you have those you definitely want them in play. Otherwise airing up bags to lift off the overloads just trades one set of springs for another (which are usually further inboard as well).

If the headlights are an issue turn the adjusters a bit.

Our camper is getting loaded in the coming week. I'll take a measurement of sag if I remember but I'm fairly sure it's at least 4 inches as well. With a our truck it takes it from rear high to close to level.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Side to side momentum is a function of all the weight big campers carry up high. Fridges, air conditioners, storage, stuff in the storage, storage, more stuff, more stuff on the roof....

Pickup rear suspensions sag as a function of using long taper leaf springs to give some kind of ride empty.

Handling suffers because as sag occurs the steering castor angle rolls back toward 0.

Anything you can do to hold the truck at or near stock ride height when loaded will keep it handling and braking like it should.

Then start fine tuning for rock and roll control. Getting the truck to steer normally first will help a lot.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenkorona wrote:

So I measured how much the rear sags when I load the camper onto the truck. Measured at the centerline of the rea axle, it drops 4.5 inches. Is that something airbags or Sumo Springs can fix? Or is that a level that would require a more drastic mod?

TIA

You just want to LEVEL the truck, not bring it back to unloaded ride height.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you refuse to acknowledge or try my suggestions, then all I can say is that any number of suspension aids will help.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

kenkorona

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading the varying comments and suggestions, I ordered 2 products from Hellwig. One is their Big Wig sway bar. The other is their 3500lb helper spring kit.

I will be having a local garage do the install, but it might not be for a few weeks. When I get it back and test it out, I'll post the result. Maybe I'll need to get new shocks too.

BTW, my tires are E rated but I did not check into their weight rating. And they are inflated to 80lb on the rear and 60lb on the front.

Thank you all for you info and suggestions.

As a side note, something happened the other day that was interesting to keep in mind. I had the truck in for service which included tire rotation. They rotated the tires, but did not change the pressure, so I ended up with 80lb in the front and 60lb in the rear. The TPMS caught it right away and I got it fixed the next day.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you have a plan. How much did your rig weigh and are you well within the tire/wheel load capacity and GVWR?

kenkorona

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck is rated for a 4400# payload. Considering I removed a 100# tailgate that gives me a 4500# payload. The camper is supposed to be about 3400# with a full fresh water tank. So I'm guessing, fully loaded we're close to the limit, maybe a little over when the gray and black tanks are full.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenkorona wrote:

maybe a little over when the gray and black tanks are full.

Isn't that just the water from the FW tank?

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question: too much camper - too little truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.