cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

US101 Northern California

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody traveling from Northern California to Oregon in the next several days - be aware that CALTRANS is doing major work south of Crescent City:

WILL BE CLOSED INTERMITTENLTY FROM 12.4 MI SOUTH OF CRESCENT CITY /AT VISTA POINT/ TO 1.9 MI SOUTH OF CRESCENT CITY /AT HUMBOLDT RD/ (DEL NORTE CO) FROM 0900 HRS TO 1100 HRS, FROM 1200 HRS TO 1400 HRS & FROM 1500 HRS TO 1700 HRS MONDAY THRU FRIDAY - DUE TO A ROCKSLIDE - TRAFFIC WILL BE ALLOWED THRU FROM 1100 HRS TO 1200 HRS & FROM 1400 TO 1500 HRS - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 2 HOURS

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC FROM 2.6 MI NORTH OF KLAMATH /AT PEINE RD/ TO 2.9 MI NORTH OF KLAMATH /AT OLD HUNTER CREEK RD/ (DEL NORTE CO) 24 HRS A DAY 7 DAY A WEEK THRU 0700 HRS ON 10/31/22 - DUE TO BRIDGE WORK

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC FROM 12.4 MI SOUTH OF CRESCENT CITY /AT VISTA POINT/ TO 1.9 MI SOUTH OF CRESCENT CITY /AT HUMBOLDT RD/ (DEL NORTE CO) FROM 1700 HRS EACH AFTERNOON TO 0900 HRS EACH MORNING & FROM 1100 HRS TO 1200 HRS & FROM 1400 HRS TO 1500 HRS - DUE TO A ROCKSLIDE - MOTORISTS ARE SUBJECT TO DELAYS OF UP TO 2 HOURS

1-WAY CONTROLLED TRAFFIC AT VARIOUS LOCATIONS FROM 3.7 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 197 /AT ROWDY CREEK RD/ TO 4 MI NORTH OF THE JCT OF SR 197 /AT BECKSTEAD AVE/ (DEL NORTE CO) 24 HRS A DAY THRU 2359 HRS ON 12/31/21 - DUE TO CONSTRUCTION
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004
6 REPLIES 6

ford-willy
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through it 2 times. Going North first, then going South 2nd. We knew about it from the Caltrans phone app. Timed leaving Fortuna River Walk RV and got to Northbound line at 11:30. It was 12:15 before our point in the line started to move. They ALWAYS let northbound go first. ------ Coming back south from Oregon coast it was much tougher. Timed our arrival at about 12 knowing northbound went before us. They let northbound run for a half hour before letting south go. But they only let southbound run for 15 minutes and stopped the line before we got through and then let Northbound run again for over one half hour. Overall it took us over 2 hours to get through going south. As luck would have it going South we were stopped at a very steep side angle so I turned off my propane tanks from outside my 5th wheel trailer to keep from damaging the refrigerator.
2009 Grand Junction 335TRL--2011 F350 Lariat 4X4 Dually Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel, 6 Speed Auto, 3:73 Gears--One Great Towing Machine.---------
2016 Forest River Salem T21RBS

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
We went through on Thursday - left the campground (Chinook RV Resort) shortly after 9am and got in line. There were 15 vehicles ahead of us in line, waiting for the road to open at noon. I must say they were prompt: it was exactly 12:00:00 when we started moving! We got through the one-way section and then saw the line waiting to go south: almost 5 miles long! According to the handout we got at the RV Park the road is closed on Monday through Thursday from 8am to noon, and from 3pm to 7pm. All other times it is open to one-way traffic - controlled.

You were ahead of us. We departed S of Fortuna about 11 not knowing a thing about any repairs.

Ignorance is bliss sometimes.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
We went through on Thursday - left the campground (Chinook RV Resort) shortly after 9am and got in line. There were 15 vehicles ahead of us in line, waiting for the road to open at noon. I must say they were prompt: it was exactly 12:00:00 when we started moving! We got through the one-way section and then saw the line waiting to go south: almost 5 miles long! According to the handout we got at the RV Park the road is closed on Monday through Thursday from 8am to noon, and from 3pm to 7pm. All other times it is open to one-way traffic - controlled.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Came through the area a couple days ago. South to north.

Got lucky. Minor delay. Currently in Crescent City. Hearing of delays up to 4 hours. We saw SB line that had to be 2 miles long.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We got stuck in that this spring. We hit it around 10:15 so only had to sit for 45 mins. Had 2-3 bars 4G so all was good. Plus had a toilet behind me.
We didn't know about it and went from Redding to Arcadia for a couple nights. One of the other park guests told us. It was a toss up to go back to Redding to Grants Pass or sit in the delay. We figured sitting in the delay was cheaper.
Plus Hwy 199 to GP is a lot prettier than form Redding to GP.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing seems to have improved. When I made a return trip from Oregon around May 2018 on 101 through the Red Woods SP area the road was under heavy repair/construction in many locations and it was down to single lane, very rough at times very narrow at other times.

It was early Sunday morning in heavy fog so lucky for me no traffic or construction crews but lots of heavy machinery on the shoulders.

This time I was only towing a 5X8 Uhaul so no great problem.