cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carpet on ceilings.....

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any ideas what to do about the carpet on my old Northern Lite camper? I do not like breathing the fibers that are starting to break down causing dust inside. Aside from always vacuuming the headliner each trip I would like to coat it or cover it. Just don't want to ruin it as it's still a nice 03 camper I bought new and upgraded. Thanks in advance.
21 REPLIES 21

michaeltimmerma
Explorer
Explorer
Northern Lite campers are built using a 2-piece fiberglass construction which eliminates unnecessary seams ensuring that even in the most extreme weather conditions, you and your family will remain warm and dry inside of your camper and you can leave the carpet as an insulation and place the another layer over it.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
notsobigjoe wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
cooldavidt wrote:
Dear time to roll
The foam is an integral part of a Northern Lite structure. Hence the word Lite is used in the brand.

Dear covered wagon

Keep vacuuming!

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts. I will have to think about this and not do something I will regret. You have all given me lots of considerations. It's nice.

Reason this came up was when cleaning the fridge mirror, sun's angle just right, I noticed what had to be carpet fibers everywhere on the glass.

Good luck with your project OP and please keep us informed as to your progress.

I will. I plan on vacuuming the headliner with a new filter and then open it up to see just how much goes in there and if indeed something needs to be done.

Again, thank you all.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
covered wagon wrote:
cooldavidt wrote:
Dear time to roll
The foam is an integral part of a Northern Lite structure. Hence the word Lite is used in the brand.

Dear covered wagon

Keep vacuuming!

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts. I will have to think about this and not do something I will regret. You have all given me lots of considerations. It's nice.

Reason this came up was when cleaning the fridge mirror, sun's angle just right, I noticed what had to be carpet fibers everywhere on the glass.

Good luck with your project OP and please keep us informed as to your progress.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
cooldavidt wrote:
Dear time to roll

Dear covered wagon

Keep vacuuming!

cooldavidt
Explorer
Explorer
Dear time to roll

Dear covered wagon

Keep vacuuming!

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas what to do about the carpet on my old Northern Lite camper? I do not like breathing the fibers that are starting to break down causing dust inside. Aside from always vacuuming the headliner each trip I would like to coat it or cover it. Just don't want to ruin it as it's still a nice 03 camper I bought new and upgraded. Thanks in advance.
I would email Keith at Northern Lite (info@northern-lite.com) and ask him what to do. He always responds promptly to my emails.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
Unfortunately you can't just glue new fabric up to the old fabric. If you try it will last for a short while and then start falling down. The old must be removed. Then the surface needs to be sanded down to create a good bonding surface. Then you can have someone spray some nasty smelling glue up onto the surface and press new headliner material into the glue. If done right you'll get about another 20 years out of the new headliner.

Or you can strip it all off and sand it smooth. Then paint it with a few coats of exterior rated acrylic paint.

Either way it would look great! I'd go with the carpet though if your considering resale value.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Unfortunately you can't just glue new fabric up to the old fabric. If you try it will last for a short while and then start falling down. The old must be removed. Then the surface needs to be sanded down to create a good bonding surface. Then you can have someone spray some nasty smelling glue up onto the surface and press new headliner material into the glue. If done right you'll get about another 20 years out of the new headliner.

Or you can strip it all off and sand it smooth. Then paint it with a few coats of exterior rated acrylic paint.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
This is some info I found.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24524524/print/true.cfm
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/removing-ozite-or-fuzzy-ceiling-carpet-315232.html
https://www.motorhome.com/motorhomes/motorhome-gear/ceiling-fabric-care/
https://pantherrvproducts.com/6555-ozite-ceiling-headliner-carpet-72-wide-sand-per-linear-foot/

I typed this into DDG and came up with these posts above. OP, the list is endless. Good luck, Joe

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=spray+on+ozite+for+rv+ceilings&t=brave&ia=web

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
cooldavidt wrote:
Just be careful here. This is not really carpet like you have on the floor of your house with a backing and fibres woven into it. Tis is a spray on fibre bonded to the outer side of a foam panel.. It is not 'fabric glued to the roof', nor 'removing popcorn ceiling' nor can you 'rip it down', nor is contact cement used. 'Carpet' is a misnomer to describe this finish.
Remove the foam panel, replace with alternate clean panel, paint the surface if desired. I don't like "cover up" jobs.

(revised instruction for "rip it down")

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You will have to remove it somehow and get down to stable material to install anything new with adhesive.

If you glue to the fibers, they will continue to degrade and fall out underneath whatever new headliner you install. Sooner or later, probably sooner, the new headliner will simply fall down.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
If it can't be removed, I would vacuum it to remove the loose stuff; then roll on a coating of water-based finish. I have always been a fan of Minwax Polycrylic - dries in minutes/very low odor. Goes on white, dries clear. At least it would anchor the fibers?

How interesting is that! I will try this on an extra piece the factory gave me years ago when I visited the factory.

I still think, going over it with an expensive headliner is going to be best.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
If it can't be removed, I would vacuum it to remove the loose stuff; then roll on a coating of water-based finish. I have always been a fan of Minwax Polycrylic - dries in minutes/very low odor. Goes on white, dries clear. At least it would anchor the fibers?
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the carpet as insulation and put another layer over it is the direction i would go.