Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Carpet on ceilings.....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Carpet on ceilings.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
covered wagon

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/01/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/06/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

If it can't be removed, I would vacuum it to remove the loose stuff; then roll on a coating of water-based finish. I have always been a fan of Minwax Polycrylic - dries in minutes/very low odor. Goes on white, dries clear. At least it would anchor the fibers?


How interesting is that! I will try this on an extra piece the factory gave me years ago when I visited the factory.

I still think, going over it with an expensive headliner is going to be best.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/06/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will have to remove it somehow and get down to stable material to install anything new with adhesive.

If you glue to the fibers, they will continue to degrade and fall out underneath whatever new headliner you install. Sooner or later, probably sooner, the new headliner will simply fall down.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/06/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cooldavidt wrote:

Just be careful here. This is not really carpet like you have on the floor of your house with a backing and fibres woven into it. Tis is a spray on fibre bonded to the outer side of a foam panel.. It is not 'fabric glued to the roof', nor 'removing popcorn ceiling' nor can you 'rip it down', nor is contact cement used. 'Carpet' is a misnomer to describe this finish.
Remove the foam panel, replace with alternate clean panel, paint the surface if desired. I don't like "cover up" jobs.

(revised instruction for "rip it down")


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is some info I found.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24524524/print/true.cfm
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/removing-ozite-or-fuzzy-ceiling-carpet-315232.html
https://www.motorhome.com/motorhomes/motorhome-gear/ceiling-fabric-care/
https://pantherrvproducts.com/6555-ozite-ceiling-headliner-carpet-72-wide-sand-per-linear-foot/

I typed this into DDG and came up with these posts above. OP, the list is endless. Good luck, Joe

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=spray+on+ozite+for+rv+ceilings&t=brave&ia=web

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

Senior Member

Joined: 12/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unfortunately you can't just glue new fabric up to the old fabric. If you try it will last for a short while and then start falling down. The old must be removed. Then the surface needs to be sanded down to create a good bonding surface. Then you can have someone spray some nasty smelling glue up onto the surface and press new headliner material into the glue. If done right you'll get about another 20 years out of the new headliner.

Or you can strip it all off and sand it smooth. Then paint it with a few coats of exterior rated acrylic paint.


2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/21 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Unfortunately you can't just glue new fabric up to the old fabric. If you try it will last for a short while and then start falling down. The old must be removed. Then the surface needs to be sanded down to create a good bonding surface. Then you can have someone spray some nasty smelling glue up onto the surface and press new headliner material into the glue. If done right you'll get about another 20 years out of the new headliner.

Or you can strip it all off and sand it smooth. Then paint it with a few coats of exterior rated acrylic paint.


Either way it would look great! I'd go with the carpet though if your considering resale value.

hedgehopper

Denver

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/06/21 11:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas what to do about the carpet on my old Northern Lite camper? I do not like breathing the fibers that are starting to break down causing dust inside. Aside from always vacuuming the headliner each trip I would like to coat it or cover it. Just don't want to ruin it as it's still a nice 03 camper I bought new and upgraded. Thanks in advance.
I would email Keith at Northern Lite ([email protected]) and ask him what to do. He always responds promptly to my emails.

cooldavidt

Vancouver

Full Member

Joined: 04/11/2016

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/07/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dear time to roll
The foam is an integral part of a Northern Lite structure. Hence the word Lite is used in the brand.

Dear covered wagon

Keep vacuuming!

covered wagon

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/01/2004

View Profile



Posted: 07/07/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cooldavidt wrote:

Dear time to roll
The foam is an integral part of a Northern Lite structure. Hence the word Lite is used in the brand.

Dear covered wagon

Keep vacuuming!


Thanks everyone for all the thoughts. I will have to think about this and not do something I will regret. You have all given me lots of considerations. It's nice.

Reason this came up was when cleaning the fridge mirror, sun's angle just right, I noticed what had to be carpet fibers everywhere on the glass.

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/07/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

covered wagon wrote:

cooldavidt wrote:

Dear time to roll
The foam is an integral part of a Northern Lite structure. Hence the word Lite is used in the brand.

Dear covered wagon

Keep vacuuming!


Thanks everyone for all the thoughts. I will have to think about this and not do something I will regret. You have all given me lots of considerations. It's nice.

Reason this came up was when cleaning the fridge mirror, sun's angle just right, I noticed what had to be carpet fibers everywhere on the glass.


Good luck with your project OP and please keep us informed as to your progress.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Carpet on ceilings.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.