cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FastGun Upgrade

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a few trips I feel like I'm getting the hang of loading the Lance on the truck and made me re-visit the turnbuckles. I got the Torklift frame mounted tie downs from the start but was using the HappiJac spring loaded turnbuckles that came with the camper (if you remember the camper was free).

I upgraded to the Torklift Fast Guns and what a difference! The HJs are short, so every corner needed a length of chain attached to the TL frame mount with a quick link. Worked fine, but that meant that you couldn't leave the TL mounts on the truck with the camper off because the chains would drag.

Also it seems like the camper never loads the same way twice, with minor differences on how it sits in the bed. I keep minimal tension on the turnbuckles so I'm not putting too much strain on the camper mounts, and sometimes you want to adjust the turnbuckle a turn or a half to get it dialed in just right. The HJs require TWO 3/4" wrenches to adjust due to the double lock nut, while the TLs require NO tools to adjust.

Overall, the Fast Guns are easier to use, better built and make loading and unloading the camper just a little easier.

There is a page on FB marketplace for TC parts, so I'm going to list the HJs there and see what I can get for them.
4 REPLIES 4

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I havenโ€™t had any significant issues with my 15 yr old Fastguns yet. They are stainless and have a bit of rust. I store them inside when I donโ€™t have the TC on.

In any case, they are easy to use, but do pay attention to how you are supposed to adjust them.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I like the looks of those handles vs the Winchester Model 94 levers.

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
We love our Fastguns too,....but did have an issue. I always tighten them the same but was going down the road one day & noticed one bottom hook had come undone. It was swinging in the wind from the top hook. So lucky it was heavy enough to stay put. I had it happen again about 5 months later, on a different one. I did a thorough inspection & found something. If you look at the threads as they fade away near the bottom hook,..you will notice that some of the threads there start to flatten & are not as raised as further up. I took them all apart & found that some of those flat threads were right inside the enclosed section too. I found this on the two that came undone. I notified Torklift with photos & they immediately sent out replacements. Great customer service.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Just keep an eye on the powder coating coming off on the handle (if yours has it). When I first discovered this the coating was lifting off sides of the metal, exposing a sharp edge on the inside edge of the handle, just where the inside of your fingers go when you grab the handle to open it. This piece of power coating will be as sharp razor blade.

of course that life time warranty don't cover finish.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.