Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Help please!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> Help please!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a State specific question. Did you answer if you had gone to DMV or not?

For something this old they should just push it through with little concern. In my State they would just need the bill of sale with sellers signature (eh hmm, my forgery of it) on a scrap of paper to issue plates.
My state does not require titles for something this old.
This is a trailer or motor vehicle?

I had a vehicle I got from a friend from out of state. I went to get plates and they said I just need to get a bill of sale from him since there was no title. I went out, found some paper, wrote up one, signed it for him, came back in and said, "I found it". She knew what I just did and kind of laughed it off because what are they going to do? I went out with plates and paperwork. Done.
The success also depends on the person behind the DMV counter. They know tricks to push things through sometimes, and sometimes the worker be dont care.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr_andyj wrote:

This is a State specific question. Did you answer if you had gone to DMV or not?

For something this old they should just push it through with little concern. In my State they would just need the bill of sale with sellers signature (eh hmm, my forgery of it) on a scrap of paper to issue plates.
My state does not require titles for something this old.
This is a trailer or motor vehicle?

I had a vehicle I got from a friend from out of state. I went to get plates and they said I just need to get a bill of sale from him since there was no title. I went out, found some paper, wrote up one, signed it for him, came back in and said, "I found it". She knew what I just did and kind of laughed it off because what are they going to do? I went out with plates and paperwork. Done.
The success also depends on the person behind the DMV counter. They know tricks to push things through sometimes, and sometimes the worker be dont care.

The clue is in the original post. [emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/07/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indolove wrote:

I just purchased a 1968 Holiday Ramber that I need to get plates registered for. I have the serial number and bill of sale but no title. How can I go about this since the DMV requires the newer 17 digit format and my camper has the old format???
Have you been rejected in person?
When you go in.... do not leave until there is a clear path to obtaining the registration.

If doing this online just use preceding zeros and see what goes. Then make an appointment to go in.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really. There are millions of cars with less than 17 numbers in this country. I have vehicles registered in 3 states and park them in which ever state I choose. As far as this mans problem---New York has no titles for these old cars but I have had no problem registering them in other states, the man from AL is right I have got AL titles to cars I had no title to from there and I have never lived there. They check to see if they have been stolen, thats it. I could go on but you get the idea. Don't make it more complicated than it is and don't get advice from those that have no idea what they are talking about

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Indolove wrote:

I just purchased a 1968 Holiday Ramber that I need to get plates registered for. I have the serial number and bill of sale but no title. How can I go about this since the DMV requires the newer 17 digit format and my camper has the old format???
Have you been rejected in person?
When you go in.... do not leave until there is a clear path to obtaining the registration.

If doing this online just use preceding zeros and see what goes. Then make an appointment to go in.

Zeros won't work, proper VINs have a check digit which an older serial won't have and adding zeros wouldn't work if it did (this is assuming the DMV VIN checker is coded correctly).

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I once had a very old TT that was listed as "Homemade" . I don't think it was homemade but, the DMV was happy with that and gave me a plate. You might be able to do something like that. But, I would try everything else first.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indolove wrote:

I'll tell you how - stop trying to do it online. So far, you have tried registering it online and cant because the DMV website requires the VIN be a certain format.

Then, you went online to ask on a forum how to register it since you can't use the DMV website - which isn't working since posters can only speculate, unless you have the astounding luck of getting a response from a forum member who also works for the DMV in your state.

So follow the advice already given and actually go to the DMV with all your paperwork and simply ask them. Then, you can come back here and post your experience which may help someone in the future.

Good luck

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> Help please!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.