Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: 12v coolers
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 12v coolers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
k9jadon

La Mesa, CA (Near San Diego)

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everyone, our last camping trip into the Eastern Sierras where the temp stayed near 92 for a week and a half has caused my to look into buying a 12v freezer/fridge cooler. Such as: Dometic CFX75DZW 12v Electric Powered Cooler, Fridge Freezer. We spent a lot of money on ice, and I want peace of mind that our food won't go bad. So I was hoping to get some insight from anyone here who has experience with this type of product. We have a tent trailer with no real means for refrigeration, and so must rely on a cooler. We go for multiple weeks when we go so I think I need a cooler that is at least 75 qts, since our current cooler is around 110 qts. So what should I be looking for, any thoughts? Thank you for your help.

Eric

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Amazon reviews on that Dometic product are not good. I'm having difficulty with their power consumption figures.

ah/h is gibberish to me, unless you cancel the "h" and end up with a, but I find it hard to believe a cooler uses less than 1 amp. I see another user incorrectly thought that was a/h, which is also nonsense. It's just amps.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used the older types, and cheaper ones in the past and they were never all that useful. The newer ones are very pricey, in the $600 range for the ones I've seen. And cool 30-40 degrees below ambient, plus or minus. Which does not equal freezing most of the time.
I haven't really looked into it so maybe there are more effective ones out there.
Our solution is a Pelican Elite 30 QT which we paids something like $130, I see that they are now $230. They keep ice for up to five days in cooler temps and three days when it gets hot. They were much cheaper than a Yeti but works as well and they have excellent customer service. We broke a latch and they sent one out no questions asked.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

k9jadon

La Mesa, CA (Near San Diego)

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input. I spoke with a guy who does quite a bit of overlanding and he said that they really do not pull that many amps. I have seen that there are some 12v coolers that only cool to 30 or 40 below ambient. The ones I am interested in claim to be able to freeze your food. Anyway, thanks again

Eric

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 04:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Things that cool and heat *effectively* require more power than you may think. I've seen 12v coffee makers, which, seem 'efficient' and handy, but what most people report is that the coffee takes a long time and isn't very hot.

If the comparison is of any value, the typical electric RV fridge needs about 350w. That's a lot to ask of a single 12v battery, which is why propane is a better option. Yes, I'm aware the cooler is smaller.

So, if that Dometic box really does use so little current, I'd be at least a bit skeptical of its cooling ability.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/06/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well SUV Rver on YT has an episode or two on his review of 12V coolers, his was very small tho. You may want to look that up.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many new frig/freezer products on the market. The better ones have a LG compressor and can freeze to -5 degrees Fahrenheit. Go into Amazon and search portable refrigerator freezer. Dometic is very expensive and no better than many. They don't draw much juice.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are some that are getting downright cheap
I have one on the docks in China waiting for a slow boat
I have one in my other room This is the one in the other room

It is currently ZERO per the display. this has areas. the big area is zero (Or whatever I set it at) the small area in the rear is warmer (*Above freezing for the most part)

Power draw is less than 50 watts

I had an ENGEL (much more expensive back in 2005) same size worked well up till this summer 36 watts. IT was like 800 bucks as I recall.

The one in China is supposed to come with solar panels. I'm starting to go at lest partially solar here.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alpicool bd75. 79 quarts 60 watts $502

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Powered" coolers fall into 2 categories: true compressor refrigerators/freezer and peltier coolers. Skip the second group because the don't perform well in hot weather and ca eat a lot of power.

No experience with different brands but the good ones work just like your home refrigerator. The biggest problem you will have is supplying power 24/7 for the time you are camping. I would NOT run if off the car battery unless the engine is running !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 12v coolers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.