Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
KJINTF

West

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No Fuss at all!
I highly recommend the LIFE cells
They just work - even in the winters/summers of Montana
Had my 4 LIFE 200amp cells for going on 7 years now
No BMS - just four 200amp LIFE Cells strapped together
Use a simple $15 Cell Log 8 to monitor cell performance
They all track <30mv difference all the time from full charge to full discharge
They easily supply enough for a 2KW psw inverter which powers my 1Kw Microwave

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

3 tons,

Your comments help the OP in what manner?

time2roll, Yes they work--where it is not -30 or if in a full time situation where there is a way to keep them warm.

Great question - I’m ALL for FULL disclosure [emoticon] …My comments are based on qualified hands-on camping experience rather than the table-top guesstimating …FWIW, this was strictly in response to your aforementioned statement, “than some folks care to admit”…How so??

3 tons

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

time2roll, Yes they work--where it is not -30 or if in a full time situation where there is a way to keep them warm.
Keep them charged and all is fine.
For the premium you pay for the alternative it might be easier to just keep the LFP charged.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 11:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The inability to charge them below freezing is a problem. 32° is not that cold in CO. I’ll have to remember to turn off the charger at night or unplug in colder weather while we are still using the RV. I’m considering a seat warmer for the battery compartment. I used them on my old RV as tank warmers.
I think part of the complexity is getting good specs. A reliable BMS from the manufacturer is based mostly on company reputation. It remains to be seen if I get more value from these batteries than from my rocky history with SLA and AGM’s
The idea of replacing the micro with a low draw is interesting. The one I have is rated at 900 watts (1.35 kw power consumption) but from the inverter it drew much more. I could try it at 50%.
[image]
I like the idea of running a more disposable appliance like one of my small heaters. Cheap and disposable if it breaks. Thanks.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 what brand of lfp batteries are you using? Don't they have low temp protection, which will stop charging till the cells get above 32F but still allow you to use the batteries? Your #s look ok in the 1st post except for the SOC taking a dive. Here are some recorded #s from my system in April of using microwave, air conditioner and other misc items at different SOC's to give an idea. I do have solar which does help during the day.

[image][image]

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,800+ cycles.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

The idea of replacing the micro with a low draw is interesting. The one I have is rated at 900 watts (1.35 kw power consumption) but from the inverter it drew much more. I could try it at 50%.
The label says 900 watts output or cooking power. Add 30% to 50% for input power. Then you lose 10% in the inverter converting from battery power.
I doubt that HighPoint will reduce power at a lower setting. Probably just cycles the megatron at full power.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 that is a lot of battery power! Love the spreadsheet I’m going to look at it more closely. What device do you have that records that info?
I rechecked the BMS on the LIoN Safari batteries and it does shut them down when outside the temperature range. It was in the question and answer info I didn’t see it in the specs.
“The Safari UT already has an internal Battery Management System (BMS) that acts as a safety net to shut down the battery if it is out of parameters. This prevents the battery from overcharging or discharging as well as operating outside of the temperature range.”

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 05:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've watched Ray from "Love your rv" on YouTube awhile ago showing/ using the LIon Safari battery, it looked like a decent battery with a bms protecting the battery. If you haven't seen his channel using the Safari batteries check it out.

Once you have your system dailed in to your liking, lfp batteries really are a set it and forget battery. I'm a fulltime rv'er that mostly boondocks that use lfp everyday for over 5 years now with solar as my charger 99% of the time, even if I'm on pedestal power.

I have 2 displays, 1 for the Magnum equipment and 1 for the GBS system, that is where I get the #s in my recorded data. The flat voltage of lfp is nice and as you might have noticed ability to still use high draw appliances at low SOC is nice, plus having the option to use lfp in a PSOC fo long periods with the occasional full charge to reset or resynce your capacity meter to the batteries.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itenerate1 wrote:

“I'm a fulltime rv'er that mostly boondocks that use lfp everyday for over 5 years now with solar as my charger 99% of the time, even if I'm on pedestal power”.

I well concur Sir… We camp 90% of the time off-grid…I use the Honda 2200 strictly for extended air cond. run times…LFP charges via solar with a relative (to FLA’s) rapid recovery, though with no real need to routinely top-off to 100% SOC…Daily operating range is typically somewhere north of 35% to 90% SOC…

3 tons

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This link will be for the "inards" of the LIon Safari batteries, then to the side of the page will be links to the "tests" he did with the batteries. They appear to be as advertised, it might be worth while to view all of them to gain confidence with the brand and how they'll perform or atleast "should" perform.

https://youtu.be/ODOOOa2bgs8

He didn't have all these videos the last time I viewed his channel and watch them all yesterday. [emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.