Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Itenerate1 wrote:

“I'm a fulltime rv'er that mostly boondocks that use lfp everyday for over 5 years now with solar as my charger 99% of the time, even if I'm on pedestal power”.

I well concur Sir… We camp 90% of the time off-grid…I use the Honda 2200 strictly for extended air cond. run times…LFP charges via solar with a relative (to FLA’s) rapid recovery, though with no real need to routinely top-off to 100% SOC…Daily operating range is typically somewhere north of 35% to 90% SOC…

3 tons

With the heat wave happening I've been running the A/C almost everyday for 3-4 hours off of batteries/ solar then switch over to the generator if needed for any longer A/C time. By the time the sun is down my SOC will be 60-65% and morning SOC will be 35% +/-, even with the morning breakfast loads and other daily loads by 1-2 pm it's back to a full pack off of solar to do it over again. LFP/ solar is the cats meow. [emoticon]

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,800+ cycles.

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

if your shopping for a new microwave for the RV get a panasonic true inverter microwave. doesn't cycle between 0 and 100%, but stays at a fixed % you set and at 50% power will do most of what you want but draw about 1/2 the full power current, Works great with an inverter setup. Doesn't take twice as long at 50%, maybe 25% longer

They also work well with an inverter generator as the constant draw keeps the genny running at a steady rate. No more alternating and irritating sound of full-speed then idle.

HTH;
John

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itinerant1 wrote:

EMD360 what brand of lfp batteries are you using? Don't they have low temp protection,

Splitting hairs here. You have manufactured LiFe 'batteries'.

LiFe cells do not have temp protection. You have an assembled battery of LiFes where the inclusion of a BMS can do the protecting.

HTH;
John
Future LiFe DIYer

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full_mosey wrote:

Itinerant1 wrote:

EMD360 what brand of lfp batteries are you using? Don't they have low temp protection,

Splitting hairs here. You have manufactured LiFe 'batteries'.

LiFe cells do not have temp protection. You have an assembled battery of LiFes where the inclusion of a BMS can do the protecting.

HTH;
John
Future LiFe DIYer

What are you talking about???

If you're going to split hairs how about your abbreviation for LiFePO4 or the commonly used abbreviation LFP so not to confuse new comers to the meaning of "life". [emoticon]

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Safari batteries are in the same price range as the battleborn?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It appears they've been as low as $699 on sale to everyday price $899, for a dropin that seems reasonable. After watching the tests they seem well made, as far as longevity only time will tell but that goes for all LFP's. I think the bms's might be the weak link for all LFP's.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lion Safari UT 1300
12V 105Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) Battery
65 reviews Regular price $999

https://lionenergy.com/products/lion-safari-ut-1300

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great discussion. I looked for a Panasonic inverter micro and they are all more than 900 watts. Smallest was 1000. Might still draw less but I didn’t keep looking for specs.
The Battleborn have come down in price and the LION went up. I got them at Costco on sale in May for $799 each when two were purchased. They were quickly sold out.
The Battleborn are 12.76 × 6.86 × 8.95 in and I was limited to under 12” in the battery box. The LION are 10.2" L X 6.6" W X 8.8" H (9.8" H to top of post) so I could fit two with some insulation in my under step space.
[image]
The box was deep enough to fit the DC to DC charger on top of the batteries. It is on a 1/8” piece of scrap plywood that is fitted around the battery posts.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360,

Thanks for the photos. There sure isn't a square inch you did not use!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

Great discussion. I looked for a Panasonic inverter micro and they are all more than 900 watts. Smallest was 1000. Might still draw less but I didn’t keep looking for specs.
The idea is to run it on a lower power such as 50% and the Panasonic draws half the power vs cycling the megaton at full power.
If you have utility power you can go full throttle.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.