Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're using LFP so the SOC or "I’m curious if the fully charged battery can take more inverter load" doesn't really have an effect the way I think you're thinking that lead does, but when the lvd (low voltage disconnect) is reached it will shut itself down.

As an example the other day I turned the A/C on when the the SOC was 60% and ran it till 35% (near 2 hours) so it was inverting at 140a +/- for a couple hours, the inverter was showing 12.2v before I shut it off. If I kept it going the inverter would of shutdown at 12.0v probably in another hour or so.

Edit.. the inverter will shutdown before the batteries have reached the lvd (vpc). The charge/ discharges source should be setup to disconnect before the battery bms does the shutting down.

* This post was edited 07/12/21 12:05pm by Itinerant1 *

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable), 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 1,800+ cycles.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Itenerate1, from actual operating experience, I fully agree with your assessment…I routinely run my air cond (concurrent with 440w solar) from a single 200a/h LFP…In fact, I was on hand when my neighbor’s lone 100a/h LFP continued to operate his 11kbtu Coleman Mach 1 PS, though (via oversight - ugg! ) the battery had inadvertently gotten down to a mere 06% SOC before discovery!!

I believe that this characteristic (though commonplace with portable tools) is often difficult for FLA converts to fully grasp (the age old ‘rejection before eventual acceptance’ thingy…), and also points to how relatively unimportant the need often is to fully charge a LFP to 100% SOC…Another benefit is the higher receptivity rate (many have attested to…) common with LFP, a significant attribute when harvesting..

3 tons

* This post was edited 07/12/21 04:47pm by 3 tons *

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it does not damage the AC compressor to have the inverter just shut down without turning the AC off first? I’m always leery of running the air on just an extension cord even with a 20 amp fuse.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both the inverter and the BMS have an auto shutoff at 10v. Can’t change either one. The inverter is +- .01v. I believe it set the Victron at 10.4v for depletion. Have not set up an alarm yet though.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

So it does not damage the AC compressor to have the inverter just shut down without turning the AC off first? I’m always leery of running the air on just an extension cord even with a 20 amp fuse.

The air cond compression is mostly a ‘power off or on affair’, with ‘power on’ being the most difficult LRA load for your inverter to resolve (called Locked Rotor Amps), A soft-start device (in lieu of the OEM start capacitor) has often been reported to help manage this extreme high compressor starting load, making life easier on inverters and generators…

To your question about a low voltage inverter shutdown, I would be more concerned about operating while in a continuous low voltage condition which could result in increased current to the motor windings…Improper battery cable AWG gauge and excessive round-trip cable length can also result in a low voltage bottleneck…Some inverters even have double terminals so one can double up on their cabling to reduce voltage drop (smaller gauge cables in parallel can be easier to manage).

Also, know that there are lots of bargain priced inverters on the market, and not all inverters of the same ‘advertised wattage’ rating can handle these extreme LRA load (inductive loads) in the same way, because of differences in electronics. This aspect should not be overlooked…Motor start-up load amperage can momentarily be 4-6 times that of normal running amps, spec’s that should reflected in your inverter’s published surge rating and duration…

3 tons

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

If it shuts down--best to wait about 3 minutes before restarting.

What matters is voltage drop. If it drops below 107, I get out my autoformer to fix the problem.

Running on low voltage causes cumulative damage to the air conditioner.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 10:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday at above 95 degrees while we were at a day park the generator would not start. I used the inverter instead just long enough to run the air compressor for tubing. Today, another hot one at about 95°, I tried running the microwave while plugged into our outdoor extension cord on a 20 amp circuit. It blew the circuit. The PD charger was running hot with the fan on constantly. So I unplugged it and ran the microwave and again the time remaining dropped fast to 23 minutes and 13.3 volts. It appeared to bounce back to 25 min just running the fridge and any additional loads. I was surprised the micro circuit was tripping with the charger running in the heat.
The Samlex peaks at 6000 amps for 8ms.
I’m not going to try to run the air from the inverter. I am waiting for morning when it’s cooler to see if there is a problem with the generator. We will have electric hookups this week so won’t need either the inverter or the generator until next week.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

Yesterday at above 95 degrees while we were at a day park the generator would not start. I used the inverter instead just long enough to run the air compressor for tubing. Today, another hot one at about 95°, I tried running the microwave while plugged into our outdoor extension cord on a 20 amp circuit. It blew the circuit. The PD charger was running hot with the fan on constantly. So I unplugged it and ran the microwave and again the time remaining dropped fast to 23 minutes and 13.3 volts. It appeared to bounce back to 25 min just running the fridge and any additional loads. I was surprised the micro circuit was tripping with the charger running in the heat.
The Samlex peaks at 6000 amps for 8ms.
I’m not going to try to run the air from the inverter. I am waiting for morning when it’s cooler to see if there is a problem with the generator. We will have electric hookups this week so won’t need either the inverter or the generator until next week.
I would try to run the converter to keep the battery charged by using the extension cord.
Then run what you need off the inverter. Both at the same time if the set up allows it.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yours is not a surge problem - inverter and generator output decreases with higher ambient temps, while Air cond begins to present an even larger load… Attempting to run a microwave (or air cond) and charger at the same time overwhelms the 20a circuit…A hybrid type (load sharing) inverter may make the difference…Another tip, get rid of power sucking stick house microwave or consider a stay at Embassy Suites…

3 tons

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/19/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably right on power sucking! But it’s so convenient to reheat our coffee and cook hot dogs for the grandkids. About all they will eat besides chicken nuggets.
I am disappointed that the charger draws so much more power that the old WFCO did. Especially when it’s hot. It’s a 60 amp instead of a 55. Micro ran ok on inverter just not on shore power 20 amps.
Charger on shore power and the rest on inverter is a very interesting idea! The charger plug is in a difficult position but I might try this. Thanks.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.