Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360 wrote:

I am disappointed that the charger draws so much more power that the old WFCO did.

Micro ran ok on inverter just not on shore power 20 amps.

Charger on shore power and the rest on inverter is a very interesting idea! The charger plug is in a difficult position but I might try this. Thanks.

The WFCO didn't really work. That's why it didn't draw much power.

Great news on the microwave. It may work on shore power, with the converter turned off.

This is called double conversion. I often only had a 15 amp circuit, with no access to the shore power breaker, so I'd routinely run just the converter. The rest of the loads were carried on a 2500 watt Cobra MSW inverter rated to run motors. If you are going to do this, it may be a good idea to carry replacement fuses for the converter. DAMHIK

I did have a large battery bank of 875 amp-hours.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW upon re-read, 6000 watts is ample surge wattage, but 8ms is equivalent to about only 1/2 of a half of a full sinewave cycle (i.e. 1/4 of a full cycle), meaning that the surge rating is relatively meager, which is a reflection of the inverters inner-workings…Per my previous (bargain inverters…) recall that ‘advertised wattage ratings’ is only part of the story, and when it comes to ‘heavily reactive’ loads (e.g. compressors and microwaves), surge ratings and duration matters most because these loads tend to ‘push back’ against the power source (your Samlex)…I would also consider running a second set of cables (in parallel) to your existing 02’s to help minimize voltage sag (say, under heavy loading), and for possible future use - FWIW, to my ProSine 2.0 I’m running 0004 AWG cabling, 6’ roundtrip… JMO…

For example the ProSine 2.0 (2000w) has a surge rating of 4500w and a duration for 5 seconds (does run my 11kbtu air cond without a hitch…), while even 20 seconds in not uncommon on say a heavy, old school copper-transformer based ‘Low frequency’ inverter…

Just a heads up: Considering your desired usage, for your next inverter you might keep in mind a true load sharing type, combination inverter-charger…Personally (in this regard…), my next ‘someday’ inverter will likely be a Victron multiplus hybrid (true load sharing type) inverter-charger…

3 tons

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A combination inverter charger converter may have been a better choice. It took me awhile to figure out the three separate devices, the charger and DC to Dc were first decisions then I decided to add an inverter. I considered the Renogy but decided the appliance is most likely to run is the microwave. Late night warm milk helps me sleep. It’s hard to tell what surge this inverter could take for 5 min. Kind of a problem with the specs. I saw several combination devices but I had just upgraded the others. We were camping this week but on 30 amp electric and everything works even at the same time! I may have to upgrade to a 30 amp outlet at home. I used the inverter in the boat launch parking lot to inflate our Intex boat. Nice to have it onboard. Next is solar right?

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EMD360,

If I were going to upgrade at my home, I'd jump right to 50 amp.

To do solar an energy audit is a good way to start. Find one in this series of articles:

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Samlex Inverter Power Draw Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.