Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Oregon rules for pumping gasoline & covid-19
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oregon rules for pumping gasoline & covid-19

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The COVID rules are opening up in OR. I would plan to have a mask to go in stores, but no need to put on a mask to hand the guy your CC for fuel. My last fill up in OR the guy did wash the back window of my SUV, didn't even ask him to. He did the guy in front of me also.

If you have a Diesel truck, you can and always have been able to fill your own tank. They look at Diesel different than regular gas. I typically fill my own if driving my truck.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First: It's only gas that falls under pumping regulations, not diesel. So most places will allow you to pump your own diesel, and many require you to so they don't get caught in the "you filled it with gas"

Second: Oregon passed a new regulation that outlines where self serve is allowed. basically smaller population counties and areas. you'll see signs that say "self serve" "self serve only" etc. Figure that most rural areas are likely self serve

Third: Oregon has occasionally relaxed the self serve for short periods of time, like during Covid, during the recent heat wave etc.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the news I see video of $5 plus gasoline out west in Cali, around here it has reached $2.79 for regular. We were at $1.89 for a while. We Alabamians are simple folks I guess, but we pump gas all by ourselves with no supervision!

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Back in the day" you wouldn't be here....or sitting in an RV as nice as you have now.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will have to report that I did see Tony Soprano pump his own gas in NJ. the writers got fussed at about that however.
bumpy [emoticon]

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Far from offering "employment for the young". in my experience Oregon's gas pumpers are largely those who might be classified elsewhere as "down and out".
I always get out and watch as they frequently punched the wrong buttons on the pump, even to the point of trying to put gasoline in my diesel Class B. (Yes I know the diesel exceptions there, but it happens.)

Old and infirm as I might be, I prefer to do it myself.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

I will have to report that I did see Tony Soprano pump his own gas in NJ. the writers got fussed at about that however.
bumpy [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/21 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly even in 2021 we still have aircraft missed fueled occasionally and the consequences are deadly sometimes. The general aviation pilots should stay and supervise the fueling 100% of the time, but many don't. It amazes me that airports have idiots forcing the different style jet fuel nozzles into gas burners. 100LL ends up in turboprops too often, but Jet A in piston pounders is just outright beyond stupid. Personally I smell and look at the diesel fuel briefly every time I fill. Keep in mind we have all the warning labels on everything to help us see the obvious, people don't even notice them much anymore.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

First: It's only gas that falls under pumping regulations, not diesel. So most places will allow you to pump your own diesel, and many require you to so they don't get caught in the "you filled it with gas"

Second: Oregon passed a new regulation that outlines where self serve is allowed. basically smaller population counties and areas. you'll see signs that say "self serve" "self serve only" etc. Figure that most rural areas are likely self serve

Third: Oregon has occasionally relaxed the self serve for short periods of time, like during Covid, during the recent heat wave etc.

The fuel station right up the road from me has a sign on the diesel pump that says that they want owners of diesel vehicles to pump their own for that very reason.

FWIW in Oregon MC riders are allowed and even prompted to pump their own. Most station attendants don't want a thing to do with an MC tank and gas.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

ktmrfs wrote:

The fuel station right up the road from me has a sign on the diesel pump that says that they want owners of diesel vehicles to pump their own for that very reason.

FWIW in Oregon MC riders are allowed and even prompted to pump their own. Most station attendants don't want a thing to do with an MC tank and gas.

on the MC, yes, if fact it's more of a "motorcycles are required" to pump their own. Not by law, but in general stations almost always insist that a MC rider fill their tank since that is an exception to the pump your own rules. , They may swipe the card, then likely hand you the nozzle and "let" you fill it.

Another exemption is "classic vehicles" you are allowed to pump their own gas in classic vehicles. kinda up to you to define "classic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Oregon rules for pumping gasoline & covid-19
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.