cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cracked tires

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer has been sitting for 2 years. I was checking the psi and only down about 5 pounds. Both tires on the passenger side have cracks in the sidewall and these have had tire covers on the whole time. Do I buy 2 new ones or do I have to replace all 4. ? Thanks, Marty
15 REPLIES 15

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
LOFAT36 wrote:
Our trailer has been sitting for 2 years. I was checking the psi and only down about 5 pounds. Both tires on the passenger side have cracks in the sidewall and these have had tire covers on the whole time. Do I buy 2 new ones or do I have to replace all 4. ? Thanks, Marty

were I you. I would get 5. replace the spare as well

Thank you.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had a blow out in our motorhome years ago. Like, a grenade went off explosion. Nevertheless, sitting on the side of the highway, with a blown tire and RV damage, makes whatever the new tires cost seem really cheap. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all to buy a tire when I even think I ought to. The thing is, I knew the tires on that motorhome were probably in need of replacement. Lesson learned but good.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
IF tires are over 6 years then it is a good time to change them all, no matter the wear. If less than 6 then you may be alright. Cracks on the outside are different than issues with the tire's interior, but cracks can indicate over-all tire condition, inside and out. Nobody can say for sure about your tires. Old tires will blow out. New tires should not blow up.
Worst case is the tire blows out and the flaps of steel and rubber do damage to your fender or the side, or under your trailer. Best case is the tire does not blow out, but just goes flat.
I had a blow out on a used trailer I was just trying to get home so i could put on new tires. I towed it for miles before I even knew the tire had gone since it was a dual axle trailer. The tire flap did damage under the fender well. These tires were very very old though.
People replace tires after 6 years because the risk of tire damage to the camper is not worth the cost of fixing the camper, not because of cracks.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOFAT36 wrote:
Just one more question guys. The tires Iโ€™m going to replace are Carlisle Radial TRail HD. We used to tow this each winter from BC to Yuma Arizona. Now we have a place down there and wonโ€™t be towing it. Our trailer will now have limited miles and use. What tire would you recommend ? Marty

Honestly MAXXIS as of now has the best long run reputation. GoodYear Endurance run a close second, and may proves to be as good or better in years to come.
And one of the best things about those 2 tires, is that they are rated for more than 65 MPH. As a general rule just about all ST tires are rated to 65 MPH. And while I am not saying you should run faster. But, IF you were to happen to let it run down a hill and go over the 65 MPH ratings. It wouldn't hurt them.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safety first.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Change all. If you have a blowout it can cause significant damage.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
jim.mcgallan wrote:
I would buy 4 new ones if I was you. The other two are just as old and will deteriorate like those other two very soon very likely. I just had a blowout travelling at 100km/h with my Goodyear marathons that were in excellent condition with only about 8000 miles on them. They were 8 years old however but the trailer was sitting in a seasonal lot for those 8 years. Took it out this year for a trip and bam! Blowout. From now on on my tires get changed out at 5 to 6 years wether they need or not. Tire age makes a difference in safety even if there are no visible danger signs like cracks etc.

For what itโ€™s worth, the only 2 tires I had fail dramatically were on an older horse trailer that was just sitting at the time (and sits for months/years). On one the tread blew wide open so you could shove a grapefruit in if you wanted. The other has a huge flap of tread sticking up but was still holding air.

Both are Goodyear Marathons.

There is still one more Marathon on the trailer. I donโ€™t know itโ€™s age but it has no cracks. It will get replaced.

I replaced the tires on my flatbed car hauler a few years ago when a couple tires showed some light cracking and I had to take a rare long distance trip. They were 13 years old.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The Carlisle Radial Trail HD has a good rep and one of the top three ST tire mfg I would recommend.
Others I would recommend mostly on reviews....actual use from rv and non rv trailer users.....other trailering websites are the Provider from Taskmaster and the Goodyear Endurance.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Just one more question guys. The tires Iโ€™m going to replace are Carlisle Radial TRail HD. We used to tow this each winter from BC to Yuma Arizona. Now we have a place down there and wonโ€™t be towing it. Our trailer will now have limited miles and use. What tire would you recommend ? Marty

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
LOFAT36 wrote:

were I you. I would get 5. replace the spare as well
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

LOFAT36
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured as much but it doesnโ€™t hurt to ask. Cheers, Marty

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might as well do all 4 and get it over with. You will need to replace the other 2 soon anyway.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever happened to the cracked tires happened to the other two. All four should be replaced.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jim_mcgallan
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy 4 new ones if I was you. The other two are just as old and will deteriorate like those other two very soon very likely. I just had a blowout travelling at 100km/h with my Goodyear marathons that were in excellent condition with only about 8000 miles on them. They were 8 years old however but the trailer was sitting in a seasonal lot for those 8 years. Took it out this year for a trip and bam! Blowout. From now on on my tires get changed out at 5 to 6 years wether they need or not. Tire age makes a difference in safety even if there are no visible danger signs like cracks etc.
Jim Mcgallan
2008 F-350 6.8l V10 4X4 CC LB 4.30 gears, Lariat loaded with/Nav.
2007 Dutchman Northshore 320TS-M5
1 beautiful wife (25 years) and 2 adorable collies