cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel pin lubricate

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
So I moved from a truck camper to a fiver and while the truck was ready for a hitch I didn't have one and my buddy had an extra that's older but seems to do the job, I noticed some wear on the top of the receiver where the pin rides and it looks like it's taken about a 1/16th ridge off the top.
I mentioned this to said buddy and he said I should have a pin lubricating disc, I asked if it would be a Teflon type of washer and he said yes and sent me a link.

Wondering if I'm the only one who didn't know about this as I like to keep things maintained but relatively new to the 5er game, even though I've read several posts since changing over (4yrs or so) I must have missed any mention of the plastic washer that fits up on the pin.

Do Y'all have this on yours?

FB
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!
37 REPLIES 37

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite specifically says "No Lube Disc" Late yr models only thin spray lube such as WD 40.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:
MFL wrote:
Wow Gary, always enjoyed your posts, and messages! But hearing of your smearing grease all over your nice B&W, IDK?? ๐Ÿ™‚

I had an elderly neighbor, that purchased a new B&W, to put in his new GM. He had trouble seeing, to line things to hook up, using a 1/4" disc. I told him to get the thinner 1/8" disc. Instead he got a big can of spray grease, that he sprayed all over his pin, all over his hitch, the bed of his new truck, and likely his glasses. He gave up (health issues), sold everything.

Anyway...Gary...take a look at that 1/8" disc, that B&W now sells on their page. I will send a check, if needed, but with your fancy rig, money should be a non-issue!

Jerry

Honestly I didn't know they even made an 1/8" disc, but sounds like the ticket.

Hensley has made one for several years and that is what I have used. If I ever loose mine I will buy the B&W model.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Wow Gary, always enjoyed your posts, and messages! But hearing of your smearing grease all over your nice B&W, IDK?? ๐Ÿ™‚

I had an elderly neighbor, that purchased a new B&W, to put in his new GM. He had trouble seeing, to line things to hook up, using a 1/4" disc. I told him to get the thinner 1/8" disc. Instead he got a big can of spray grease, that he sprayed all over his pin, all over his hitch, the bed of his new truck, and likely his glasses. He gave up (health issues), sold everything.

Anyway...Gary...take a look at that 1/8" disc, that B&W now sells on their page. I will send a check, if needed, but with your fancy rig, money should be a non-issue!

Jerry

Honestly I didn't know they even made an 1/8" disc, but sounds like the ticket.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Don't knock the spray until you try it. I don't think the spray is better than a lube plate. I also agree the 1/8" plate is the solution. I have a Hensley BD3 hitch with Hollan Binkly jaws.My hitch would not latch using a 1/4" lube plate but works well with the 1/8".
If you really need more clearance or don't want to use a lube plate I highly recommend the spray. It is effective, provides adequate lubricity and no where near as messy as grease
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That spray could lead to loss of status on the B&W Heavyweight FanBoy Club.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
garyp4951 wrote:
Good old grease for me, no worries about high hitching my B&W with it's thick jaws.

To do so you would have to be blind in one eye and unable to see out the other. ๐Ÿ˜‰

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good old grease for me, no worries about high hitching my B&W with it's thick jaws.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If you want an alternative to a teflon plate and don't want to use messy old grease try

Slip Plate
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mr. ed wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
We use a disc along with white grease on the pin itself.

X2. Exactly how Iโ€™ve done it for years. Since the teflon disc doesnโ€™t lube the pin, greasing the pin is advisable. I always wiped off the grease after unhitching and reapplied it anew just before hitching up again.

Especially if you are Camping in a sandy area. Grease seems to attract sand making a nice abrasive compound.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
We use a disc along with white grease on the pin itself.

X2. Exactly how Iโ€™ve done it for years. Since the teflon disc doesnโ€™t lube the pin, greasing the pin is advisable. I always wiped off the grease after unhitching and reapplied it anew just before hitching up again.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We had one slide topper years ago and hated it and NEVER would have another but as I type this we have 3 of them now.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Thank you. It sure seems to tick all the boxes. The only down side we can find is that it has no slide toppers. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had em and hated em.
Yeah, I know. That's why I put the smiley face on there. LOL

Mine all three ripped. I filed an insurance claim and they paid for them to be replaced. Still didn't like em. ๐Ÿ˜‰

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Thank you. It sure seems to tick all the boxes. The only down side we can find is that it has no slide toppers. ๐Ÿ™‚

I had em and hated em.
Yeah, I know. That's why I put the smiley face on there. LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"