Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: open, screen emergency exit window for ventilation?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> open, screen emergency exit window for ventilation?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone tried to build a screen of some kind, and use it so you can open the 'emergency exit' window in their RV for ventilation?

We are trying to find a way to be able to open the back emergency exit window in back bedroom of our RV for more ventilation.

My initial thought is, we'd build a frame of some kind the exact size of the window with a screen in it. Basically build a screen for the window, that you'd put in place with velcro only when you open the window. You'd prop the window open, then put the screen over it (on the inside) using velcro or something to hold it in place.

I have already verified, that the window *is* hinged at the top, and it will not fall out when we open it like some older style emergency exit windows used to do.

Has anyone ever done anything like this, or is this a totally ridiculous idea?

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds OK to me, if you only use a minimal amount of Velcro. Test small patches to see if it will release with little effort, Velcro can be very strong when pulled sideways and you want little resistance in the event of a true emergency.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Has anyone tried to build a screen of some kind, and use it so you can open the 'emergency exit' window in their RV for ventilation?

We are trying to find a way to be able to open the back emergency exit window in back bedroom of our RV for more ventilation.

My initial thought is, we'd build a frame of some kind the exact size of the window with a screen in it. Basically build a screen for the window, that you'd put in place with velcro only when you open the window. You'd prop the window open, then put the screen over it (on the inside) using velcro or something to hold it in place.

I have already verified, that the window *is* hinged at the top, and it will not fall out when we open it like some older style emergency exit windows used to do.

I did it to my Pioneer. I didn't build a frame though. I just stuck velcro to the inside of the window, cut screen, velcroed it, and stuck it on. Works great.

Now the new TT has screen on the E window. So i didn't have to do anything to open it.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no frame, but just velcro and screen fabric that you can stuff in a hole when not in use, or leave it up all the time.
On my door, that has no screen door. I used "door screen" that has two pieces, with magnets to close the halves, and all that is held to the frame with velcro. To go thru the door the magnets release easy and click back together when they flap back. Keeps the bugs out and is easy to pass through.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Go down to the dealer and look at new trailers. Ours has 2 emergency windows and they have screens and are designed to be opened. Might give you an idea on how to do it...or if the size is the same, you might swap out for the new style.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

waterboy502000

Cottonwood, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did mine just as you describe but added the handle so the screen stays in place https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-013-242-Window-Latch/dp/ I used this one.

* This post was edited 07/09/21 10:37am by waterboy502000 *

2015 Jayco Precept 31UL, 6.8L, 362 hp, 1994 Tracker, Sterling All Terrain

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did exactly that,built a screen that popped into the opening from the outside then propped open the rear emergency exit window.
[image]

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I did exactly that,built a screen that popped into the opening from the outside then propped open the rear emergency exit window....

Nice, I like it! [emoticon]

That is sort of what I had in mind, but would prefer to do it so that you would put the screen in or out, and could open or close the window, from the inside.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like this is definitely something we can do.

Has anyone had issues with, or heard of, the seals on the window wearing out and leaking if you do this? Wondering if the seals on an emergency window may not be designed to be opened and closed regularly, and may wear out and start leaking if we did something like this...

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

Nice, I like it! [emoticon]

That is sort of what I had in mind, but would prefer to do it so that you would put the screen in or out, and could open or close the window, from the inside.

Has anyone had issues with, or heard of, the seals on the window wearing out and leaking if you do this? Wondering if the seals on an emergency window may not be designed to be opened and closed regularly, and may wear out and start leaking if we did something like this...

That was my first thought too,the inside frame is smooth, tried Velcro but the adhesive failed the first year and made a mess. Then rare earth magnets but there were gaps and bugs still got in.

That is why I went to the pop in screen,tight fit and no bugs,a bit more work but does the job

As for the seals on the window.I have been doing this for about 10 years now with no leaks but I always wipe the seal with 303 protectant

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IAMICHABOD wrote:

I did exactly that,built a screen that popped into the opening from the outside then propped open the rear emergency exit window.
[image]

That's what ours look like except the prop fits thru a hole and folds to the side when closed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> open, screen emergency exit window for ventilation?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.