Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing w/out weight dist -- am I being too conservative?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing w/out weight dist -- am I being too conservative?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At work we move all travel trailers without using a WD system. Seems if you have enuf truck WD isn't needed.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/21 10:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were you, I'd tow it to the other place (or to home) on the ball, although I'd keep the speed down to 50 or so until I knew it felt stable. The brake controller is right at the fingertips if it were to misbehave, but it probably won't because you have enough hitch weight.

The WD hitch will serve as long-term peace of mind, though. And it will reduce bouncing (improve your ride comfort). So I'd still install it, or get it installed.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/21 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your hitch and vehicle are rated at 6250+ with no weight distribution I would give it a go.
Every day you will see a dump truck or other HD vehicle with no W/D and it does fine because it is rated accordingly.

My hitch says 5000 max unless W/D is used.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

willdennis

Lawrenceville, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welp, used just the ball mount from the BlueOx, and towed it from the RV mechanic's place back to where we store the TT (about 20 min's away, no highways.) Noticed the ride was "bouncier" than what I'm used to, but nothing too bad. The TV didn't pop up more than 1/4" in front once hitched, so that seems good. But still, I am def going with WD hitch for the ride's sake. The BlueOx my buddy gave to me is missing a few pieces, one of which is needed for functionality ("chain sway return loop", needed for anti-sway) so look like a new hitch is going to get bought.

On the P3 hitch side, WOW -- the upper spindle bearing pairs were all completely shot -- my mechanic removed and disposed of the uppermost pair on each side, but the lower pair were heavily worn, and the congealed grease full of metal filings!

top roller bearing cone assembly worn thru:
[image]

upper spindles with top bearings removed:
[image]

bottom roller bearing wear:
[image]

Can't wait to see the bottom spindles... :-/

And this after 4 years of use with an estimated ~1000mi/yr trip mileage, and hitch covered (along with TT) every year off-season... Doesn't seem right to me that "the best hitch in the world" would fail like this.

• 2018 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali Crew Cab (6.0L, 4.10 rear, Z85 susp.)
  • was using ProPride 3P hitch, now ???
  • 2017 Starcraft Launch 26BHS TT

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My SIL towed his comparable weight toy hauler no WDH for a few years on two different Ram 2500s, one diesel, now gasser, before just getting a used fifth wheel.

I’d contact the WDH maker and give them a what’s up with this message. 4 years on a WDH should have ZERO probs on the WDH unless you left it in the weather.

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, TBC

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed a 28 foot TT thru the Rockies and mountains of Oregon and California without WDH using a Dodge Ram 2500 V-10 with a rear axle of a 3500 and never any sway problems at all or stopping problems. When I towed same trailer in flatlands of Texas with Dodge Ram 1500 I definitely used and needed the WDH because of passing big rigs.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If your hitch and vehicle are rated at 6250+ with no weight distribution I would give it a go.
Every day you will see a dump truck or other HD vehicle with no W/D and it does fine because it is rated accordingly.

My hitch says 5000 max unless W/D is used.

hitch receiver also likely has two tongue weight limits. weight carrying and weight distribution. Often the weight carrying limit is in the 500lb range while weight carrying can be in the 1500lb range.
weight carrying puts different loads on the receiver mounts than weight carrying does.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but that is complete neglect on the operator.

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as moving the trailer from one side of town to the other, certainly no issue. I've been towing trailers for 40 years and I'm completely in the W.D. camp when it comes to towing. And yes, the weight carrying capacity of the receivers on most tow vehicles is "2 sided". 1 with W.D. and 1 without. W.D. hitches do more than just "hold up" the back of the tow vehicle. It spreads the load from the rear axle of the tow vehicle to the the front axle of the tow vehicle and the axle/s on the trailer. This makes life on the road so much better when encountering whoops on the road like bridge approaches etc. I don't really see any combination of conventional tow vehicle and coach that won't benefit from a properly set up and tuned W.D. set up. I believe if you have an F-550 type tow vehicle and have a 28 foot trailer it will benefit.......and as they say...JMHO

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/21 03:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm amazed at the amount of rust and overall damage on a six year old hitch, especially at the price the ProPride comes in at...

By comparison, my Reese Dual Cam has almost no signs of its age aside from some surface rust on the bars where the paint chipped away. but it also has no actual moving parts.

For the original question... you should be fine with the shorter wheelbase trailer, but I'd still use it for sway control.

• 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Towing w/out weight dist -- am I being too conservative?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.