Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Super frustrating AC issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Super frustrating AC issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,

Please help if you can because I am about to light my camper on fire and push it off a cliff I'm so frustrated!

My camper came pre-wired for a second AC (direct vent). First AC is a Coleman Mach 15K so I purchased another Mach15 for the master bedroom. After 5 hours of install for me and a little help from my wife I got the job done. Toughest part was getting it up there but we got it. Installed everything exactly as directed. Moment of truth.... fan but no compressor. No matter what setting I chose I cannot get cold air. Fan turns on every time and even the heat strip I bought with it had no problem heating but no cold air. Checked the harness that plugs into the controls and even pulled apart the entire upper unit to look or a lose wire or something obvious. Nothing. Last ditch effort was to try my generators for power since my shore power at home is a standard 20A 110 outlet (though that has no problem running the other AC by itself). Tried the generators (which also run the other no problem) and same result. If this thing is dead and I have to replace the unit I think I'm going to lose my mind. Wasted all day today for nothing!!

If you have any suggestions please help. We leave next Friday for a week in SC which pushed me to do this install this week. Thanks in advance!

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start/Run Capacitor

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you access the metal cover for the Tstat and make sure the wires on the Tstat did not come loose? WE assume you have roof mounted controls and NOT a wall tstat? Doug

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes we have ceiling mounted controls. I accessed every panel that I could find including everything on the roof to make sure all wires were secured. I’m not sure specifically where the thermostat wire connects but I will continue to look. What I can say is there is a harness that plugs into the ceiling assembly directly. That harness runs up to the top unit. I disassembled the entire top unit to trace those wires and they all run either through the capacitors or to the fan motors etc. Is there a place on the indoor unit other than that harness connection I should check?

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just pull down the thermostat knob and the selector switch completely exposed and all wires look good. Still absolutely no sound coming from the compressor. I disconnected and reconnected the wires and wiggled them around just to make sure there was nothing non-visible. Super frustrating really hoping it’s not a bad unit as it was a nightmare getting this one installed

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there any voltage to the compressor?

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not too familiar with the inner-workings, but the t-stat (when in cool mode) should be in communication with a motor start relay, so if possible (I donno…) I’d look for voltage on either side of this relay…JMO

3 tons

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Is there any voltage to the compressor?

Meter shows roughly 12v on each of the 3 wires at the compressor while running. If money was no object I’d love to rip this POS off the roof and smash it. So frustrating. Guess I should have paid the dealer to install it so if they hit these issues they can deal with them and replace it

* This post was edited 07/10/21 04:15pm by kfp673 *

Weldon

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the original ac working properly>

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/21 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weldon wrote:

Is the original ac working properly>
Yes, it works fine. After running into cooling issues with this new one I shut that down and ran the original unit and it had no problem. Unless I am missing something, I have it narrowed down to bad T-stat or bad compressor or some sort of electronics that I can't see. Unlike wall mount T-stat units I don't see a "brain" or anything like it. Guess I need to wait to speak with Airxel Monday to see if they have any magic tricks. Really hope it's the T-stat as that is easy to replace.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Super frustrating AC issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.