Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Super frustrating AC issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Super frustrating AC issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Yes we have ceiling mounted controls. I accessed every panel that I could find including everything on the roof to make sure all wires were secured. I’m not sure specifically where the thermostat wire connects but I will continue to look. What I can say is there is a harness that plugs into the ceiling assembly directly. That harness runs up to the top unit. I disassembled the entire top unit to trace those wires and they all run either through the capacitors or to the fan motors etc. Is there a place on the indoor unit other than that harness connection I should check?

It concerns me that you stated you did NOT see the tstat wires. Those are on back of the rotary tstat and access is just removing 1 screw to expose the inside of the Galvanized tstat housing. The ON/Off Fan speed switch on the other side has the same cover that will expose those wires and spade terminals. Now, you state (hopefully you were frustrated), POS. Well, you do NOT know what you are doing and your posts support that. So, until you verify it is NOT your install problem don't blame RVP. That multiwire quick connect is standard going from your interior control assbly to the roof top unit. Really need to know the MODEL AND the Lower control package number. The standard RVP the PURPLE wire in that quick connecter should have 120 VOLTS when you select Cool. If you do NOT have 120 volts on that purple wire, then you have a Selector switch or tstat wire problem. TEST THE PURPLE WIRE FOR 120 AND GET BACK TO US. Doug

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frustration is frustration - no one gets to claim a pass (except for me lol [emoticon] )... The purple wire tip is truly a helpful thing to know, thanks for sharing…

3 tons

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You said you had 120v on the start, run and common connections, was this with the compressor leads removed?

Weldon

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/21 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a shot in the dark but did the start capacitor have any burn marks or smell? Did it seem "swollen"?

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

kfp673 wrote:

Yes we have ceiling mounted controls. I accessed every panel that I could find including everything on the roof to make sure all wires were secured. I’m not sure specifically where the thermostat wire connects but I will continue to look. What I can say is there is a harness that plugs into the ceiling assembly directly. That harness runs up to the top unit. I disassembled the entire top unit to trace those wires and they all run either through the capacitors or to the fan motors etc. Is there a place on the indoor unit other than that harness connection I should check?

It concerns me that you stated you did NOT see the tstat wires. Those are on back of the rotary tstat and access is just removing 1 screw to expose the inside of the Galvanized tstat housing. The ON/Off Fan speed switch on the other side has the same cover that will expose those wires and spade terminals. Now, you state (hopefully you were frustrated), POS. Well, you do NOT know what you are doing and your posts support that. So, until you verify it is NOT your install problem don't blame RVP. That multiwire quick connect is standard going from your interior control assbly to the roof top unit. Really need to know the MODEL AND the Lower control package number. The standard RVP the PURPLE wire in that quick connecter should have 120 VOLTS when you select Cool. If you do NOT have 120 volts on that purple wire, then you have a Selector switch or tstat wire problem. TEST THE PURPLE WIRE FOR 120 AND GET BACK TO US. Doug

Thanks. I appreciate the scolding and will be sure to keep this in mind next time I need to spend 10 hours trouble shooting something with a single wire harness.

Yes, since that post I have removed the T-stat and checked all wires plus the system selector knob. Also pulled apart every panel on the roof side and checked every connector. I am 100% positive there are not lose wires at this point. This direct vent AC is very simple and really should just work. Connecting the harness from inside to out and AC power is literally all that should be required other than the obvious physical mounting. Anything else and yes, its a POS with very poor QC as are almost all parts made for RV's. I will test purple wire in the harness for 120V as you have suggested.

kfp673

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purple wire comes off the back of the selector knob. At the back of the selector knob it has 120v, it then runs via the harness up to the housing where the capacitors live where it is spliced to a back cable. 120V show there as well. Black cable then runs to the compressor which has 120v (actually they all ready about 117 + or -. Both sides of the capacitor also reads the same 117 ish.

T-stat has different colored wires including white. Anyone know how to properly test a rotary t-stat with a meter? The ceiling unit is model 9430D7153. I find it strange that I hear and feel no "click" when I rotate the t-stat knob. I would think I would feel that if it were working and sending a signal to the compressor to engage.

* This post was edited 07/11/21 01:23pm by kfp673 *

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp, I don't have a clue what to do, but I have to say that I admire your persistence and your level of skill. Yes, you are not an HVAC tech, but you clearly know how to use those meters.

If you end up having to take this to a dealer, you will at least have the satisfaction of knowing that you gave this your best shot and did not give up prematurely.

Hang in there!!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So here is an idea, based on your last comment about the absence of a click on the T-stat. Is there a way to "jump" the t-stat? In other words, a bypass?

My thought is that if you can "hotwire" the t-stat, maybe the compressor will start? And that would mean there is a problem in the t-stat?

Bear in mind that I know NOTHING about electricity, so don't rely on my advice unless it makes sense to you.

And if this is something you have tried long ago, please forgive the redundancy.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My pre-retirement motto was “Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome”!!….Kfp perseveres !!

3 tons

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the purple wire has 120 volts then the power goes thru the tstat. The absence of a click does not signify much. I use a heat gun to warm up the tstat cap tube to verify if the tstat point opens and closes. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Super frustrating AC issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.