cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size Matters???

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just found out our new special ordered 2022 F-350 4x4 SB Supercab Lariat SRW Truck with the 7.3 Gas Engine will be in before the end of August. In the meantime DW and I are trying to decide on our "last" 5th wheel to spend our retirement years in. We have been researching & looking at 5vers anywhere from 34' to almost 40', GVWR of 13,000 - 16,000 lbs. I am leaning toward the larger units that give us more living space, and my wife is more concerned about safely towing a larger rig & is reluctant to seriously consider them. We anticipate travelling frequently, not full-time, mostly camping & exploring new areas of interest. Most trips would be less than 800 miles one way. Should we be more conservative and only consider lighter 5th wheels 36' or under, or do you think we will be happier with the space a bigger 5ver will give us? I know this may come down to personal preferences, but we would appreciate any feedback from others who have had to make a similar decision.
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL
37 REPLIES 37

Quadcab
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just want to thank those that replied & shared their thoughts on deciding on the size of our new 5th wheel. Just 4 days ago we signed our life away on a 2021 Alliance Paradigm 310RL 5ver, 34'11" long + a GVWR of 15,000 lbs.
With so many large "atrium windows" it truly feels larger than what it actually is. The fit & finish is excellent! So DW is happy, therefore I am happy. Now we just have to wait for Ford to deliver our F-350 on order. Trying to be patient, but it is hard.
Quadcab
2018 Titan XD 5.6 V8 Kingcab
2018 PT Crusader Lite 28RL

camping_man
Explorer
Explorer
Just to travel ,and not full time , go smaller , less daily stress on the road.Find more available sites too.
05 Dodge CTD NV5600 6speed (100K Mile Club) / 97 Sprinter 5er

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling 15K RV with 7.3 and 4.30 axle. During 40% towing, better able to maintain speed than my prior 38K unit with 400 ISL diesel. But, must adjust to 3k to 4K rpm on hills and downshifts. During 60% not towing, gas is much better than diesel IMHO. Mileage depends on wind, but generally 7 towing (22.5K) and 14 to 15 not towing.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are also retired and bought our last RV, maybe.
We much prefer state parks over KOA campgrounds so that takes us off the beaten path often so size did matter.

We're in a 30ft trailer and find it spacious for the 2 of us and can comfortably navigate the backroads.
Also pulling with the 7.3 gas engine.

We're over 2000 miles and over 30 nights of camping in 2021 and no urge to go bigger.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
ksss wrote:
Lantley wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have a carry it all mindset. I'm not looking to compromise or make do. With that in mind I want a large RV with lots of space, lots of storage and lots of carrying capacity. A genset or now days A/C capable solar is a must. I want the ability to be totally self contained if necessary.
I don't want to fear or struggle with hills or mountains going up or down. I want my entire experience to be relaxing.
With all those factors in mind I have a diesel dually truck and a 40' 5th wheel.

You're fooling yourself if you think a dually and 40' fifth wheel doesn't involve compromises. You can't get that setup to most of the spots I camp, and the truck stinks off-road and in snow/ice. Obviously you can be comfortable with those compromises because they may not bother you, but they're certainly compromises that would be deal killers for other folks.

I see you are in Idaho. Living in Idaho would be my firt compromise!

I wish all the people moving here viewed Idaho like that.

That's Funny^^^^!
I have nothing against Idaho or any other state....Just not where I live.....But I would not mind visiting someday.. I imagine Idaho winter weather would scare me away real fast!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I have a carry it all mindset. I'm not looking to compromise or make do. With that in mind I want a large RV with lots of space, lots of storage and lots of carrying capacity. A genset or now days A/C capable solar is a must. I want the ability to be totally self contained if necessary.
I don't want to fear or struggle with hills or mountains going up or down. I want my entire experience to be relaxing.
With all those factors in mind I have a diesel dually truck and a 40' 5th wheel.

You're fooling yourself if you think a dually and 40' fifth wheel doesn't involve compromises. You can't get that setup to most of the spots I camp, and the truck stinks off-road and in snow/ice. Obviously you can be comfortable with those compromises because they may not bother you, but they're certainly compromises that would be deal killers for other folks.

I see you are in Idaho. Living in Idaho would be my firt compromise!

I wish all the people moving here viewed Idaho like that.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Edd505 wrote:
36ft 13,000 SRW F350 with the 6.7 diesel. The gas F350 shouldn't be a problem, your more interested in how much weight it can carry, what it can pull is useless.

Well with a gas engine, it is less about what the truck can carry, than what it can pull.
Towing ratings are derived by pulling a flatbed trailer loaded to a determined weight. Most of the time because the gas engine is lighter and has less pulling capacity than their diesel counterpart. In addition there is the limitation of frontal area for gas engines. Most towing guides have limitations on frontal area for gas engines. I didn’t see any in the owners manual for our 2001 Ram CTD, or for the 2016.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

parcany
Explorer
Explorer
My .02 cents. First thing is find out what the new Ford will tow and go from there. At least then you will have some Idea how big of a trailer you can get without going over the weights

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Buy what you like. The truck won't know any difference.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
36ft 13,000 SRW F350 with the 6.7 diesel. The gas F350 shouldn't be a problem, your more interested in how much weight it can carry, what it can pull is useless.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
valhalla360 wrote:
Lantley wrote:

If you are going to stick to large commercial campgrounds, that works...it's a compromise but it works.

Air/con capable solar system is still not practical. It can be done but it really gets silly very quickly or you are back to compromise in terms of limiting the cooling use.

I will agree, if you are going to get a 40ft monster, diesel dully makes a lot of sense as the tow vehicle but again it comes as a compromise.

I think we are mis using compromise. Compromise implies sacrifice or not getting what I realy want.
When I take my rig out I'm not sacrificing or compromising at all.
I don't wish I could go to some remote area or travel down a logging road.
I want to go somewhere that can accomodate my 5 slide unit.
I have no problem finding those places.
No the plces I go are not packed like sardines, although I have been to very tight places I have learned where to go and where not to go.
We all learn to pick our destinations and gravitate to places we like.
If I chose to remote camp, I would likely have a smaller unit, but again that is not my style or what I want to do.
If I wanted a rig that was easier to back up, I would most likely have a smaller unit but again that is not my desire. I don't mind the challeges/requirements of having a larger unit.
I don't think the guy in the scamp or TC is sacrificing because they chose a smaller RV. They are merely going with what they like.
There is no sacrifice or compromise involved if you have made a decision to do it your way.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Lantley wrote:

If you are going to stick to large commercial campgrounds, that works...it's a compromise but it works.

Air/con capable solar system is still not practical. It can be done but it really gets silly very quickly or you are back to compromise in terms of limiting the cooling use.

I will agree, if you are going to get a 40ft monster, diesel dully makes a lot of sense as the tow vehicle but again it comes as a compromise.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having been to smaller and older campgrounds, the smaller camper is likely to fit in more campgrounds. When my wife and I are empty nesters, we are hoping for a sub 32' 5th wheel that is more of a 3 or 4 season camper with some nice slides. I think opposing slides in the living room is far more preferable to an extra few feet of space that might squeeze us out of some campsites.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a 35' bunkhouse w/ 4 people to a 41' rear LR, front BR with a slide-n-slide for 2 people and love it.. Common folks would say it should have been the other way around, but we bucked that term. In the process we also had to upgrade truck to a DRW diesel. The extra room the new coach provides is awesome. Tho only our 2nd RV, it could be our last as well........at least for a long time. YES it does pose a problem if we want to stay in state and NP's, but don't have a prob if we have to travel a bit more. Many replies all pretty much say, that Botton line it's what ever you feel comfy with and I also like the suggestion about a 38' as a compromise. A heavier coach will ride better and sometimes translates into a better built one. Like what others have said too, advertised pin weight is a misnomer, but on ave, add another several hundred pounds. DO tho go by max GVW for the RV. As an example: our advertised pin was 2800 = actual 3700 (fully loaded). Dry weight is 14,000, max is 16,000, fully loaded, 15,980. Over on all accounts w/ the '15 F350 SRW we had. Yes I MISS the SRW, but the DRW handles the rig w/ ease. Could I have kept the '15? Yes. Legal and safe, NO. I say no cuz if involved in a accident, some sue happy att'y would find out and then it's OS time. Stay within limits of your truck and let the smiles begin.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"