cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to bypass Windows 11 limits and install on old PC

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-bypass-windows-11-limits-and-install-on-almost-any-old-pc/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid=&mid=13430665&cid=2180787277&eh=

Out of curiosity I may try this hack on one of my older backup laptops when the time comes. My new Lenovo I Core 7 laptop passed the MS smell test for upgrading to WIN 11 but I am not an early adopter and quite happy with WIN 10 and an old WIN 7 laptops. WARNING If you try this you could brick your PC
8 REPLIES 8

cleo43
Explorer
Explorer
Windows updates might mess up your dual booting.
I'd rather use VMs.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
mr. ed wrote:
If my older Toshiba cant be upgraded Iโ€™d be tempted to try the linux OS in place of Windows.
Make it a dual boot system - then you can still have Windows if Linux doesn't work out. One of my PCs is dual boot. I find Linux to be slightly more work.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe. I also have my iPad as a backup computer. Itโ€™s set up like a laptop, including keyboard and mouse, although Iโ€™m more used to the Windows OS.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm not sure that article from zdnet is accurate. Microsoft advised me that my PC will not run the beta version of W11 currently being tested but that it WILL run the pre-release version. This PC is 11 years old and theoretically isn't approved to run W10 which I've been running since before W10 was released.

Your PC will probably run W11 just fine.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
mr. ed wrote:
If my older Toshiba cant be upgraded Iโ€™d be tempted to try the linux OS in place of Windows.
Make it a dual boot system - then you can still have Windows if Linux doesn't work out. One of my PCs is dual boot. I find Linux to be slightly more work.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
If my older Toshiba cant be upgraded Iโ€™d be tempted to try the linux OS in place of Windows. At any rate, Windows 10 will continue to receive updates until fall, 2025, according to Microsoft.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

It will be a free upgrade at the end of the year.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Didn't even know a Windows 11 existed....
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Just a reminder that Windows 11 is currently a beta version, not a release candidate (RC). Primarily used to discover issues while in development. For curious end users, may be better to wait until a stable WIN11 RC is available.