Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Problem with U-Haul refill. Time replace my propane tanks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Problem with U-Haul refill. Time replace my propane tanks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 02:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My truck camper has 20 lb upright removable propane tanks. There are a few dings on the tanks with some minor rust in the ding. I needed propane while in Las Vegas and found a local U-Haul and she said that she shouldn’t fill it because of the ding. But she filled it anyway because she knew it would become an argument if she didn’t.

I saw the same thing on the U-Haul website that they won’t fill tanks with surface damage or if flaws have been painted over. Of course I can (and probably should) sand and paint over the dings, but that won’t help for U-Haul.

I have spent hours on google searches trying to understand if I need to replace these tanks. With no luck because it keeps popping up other topics. One thing that did pop up (and causes problems in the searches) is that the horizontal permanently installed tanks are much thicker so some rust isn’t a problem. But the 20 lb upright removable propane tanks are thinner, and it is unclear if U-Haul is being overly cautious or if a few dings actually are a problem.

Seems a new tank is around $30 each, plus I would need to find a place that knows how to purge the new tank. Also I am not clear if tanks for BBQs from a local store are good enough for RVs, or if you want a better quality.

I doubt if it is necessary to replace the tanks but it is a problem if I drive through a city (and city traffic) to a propane fill place and they refuse to fill the tank. On the interstate I fill up at Pilot / Flying J and they don’t question it. But off the interstate sometimes U-Haul is the easiest (or only) local option for tank refill, and if they give me a hard time that is a problem.

The tanks are 5 years old with a few dings. Is it time to replace the tanks?

Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this, states if dented they can't be refilled.

Link

Ridgeway, SC

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbolotune wrote:

The tanks are 5 years old with a few dings. Is it time to replace the tanks?

Yes. Pretty much any damage, and they have to be replaced according to whoever makes the regulations. As you found out, some places may still refill them just to make the customer happy.

Is there a difference between "BBQ" propane tanks and "RV" propane tanks?

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tvov wrote:

I don't know but, I'm guessing the only difference is the price.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobbolotune wrote:

One thing that did pop up (and causes problems in the searches) is that the horizontal permanently installed tanks are much thicker so some rust isn’t a problem. But the 20 lb upright removable propane tanks are thinner, and it is unclear if U-Haul is being overly cautious or if a few dings actually are a problem.

Horizontal permanently installed tanks are "TANKS"

20 lb upright removable tanks are "CYLINDERS"

There is a significant difference and RVers should know the difference in construction and RVers should know the difference.

Propane Cylinders for transportation are built to Department of Transportation (DOT) specificaions and their capacity is expressed in pounds of water. A popular example of a propane cylinder is one used the size used on barbeques known as a 20 pounds cylinder. Cylinder sizes range from a portable 5lbs cylinder to a residental storage size of a 420lbs cylinder.

Propane Tanks for permanent installation are built to American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) boiler and pressure vessel standards and their capacity is expressed in US Gallons. An example of a ASME Tank is supply for a backup generator, a horizontial 500 gallon tank.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

Tvov wrote:

I don't know but, I'm guessing the only difference is the price.

A cylinder is a cylinder, the previous two cylinders I have bought I got at a propane distributor. The last I got at HD and had it filled at a distributor, the vacuum purged tag had been torn off so they purged at no cost with the fill.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has any dents, dings, or any pitting caused by rust, replace it.

You have a DOT cylinder, and a DOT cylinder is a DOT cylinder is a DOT cylinder. Doesn’t matter if the cylinder is going to end up on a BBQ or an RV.

Also, be happy you have the “upright” (vertical) 20 lb cylinder vs. horizontal, as those are the most common, and therefore the least expensive to replace. Another nice thing about a new cylinder is that you won’t have to worry about recertification for 12 years.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

mockturtle

AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just replace the tanks. [emoticon]

2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take mine to the local Amish hardware store because he uses common sense in determining condition, and also has the best price on propane and cylinders. Maybe you can find a better supplier.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/21 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I take mine to the local Amish hardware store because he uses common sense in determining condition, and also has the best price on propane and cylinders. Maybe you can find a better supplier.

Laws are Laws. Just because a "Amish" does not follow the law does not make it safe. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Problem with U-Haul refill. Time replace my propane tanks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.