Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mystery Switch

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 26Q, Ford E-450.

There is an on/off switch located just above the power mirror control on the windshield pillar. It's not labelled, not mentioned in the Ford owner's manual. Toggling the switch does not seem to do anything. I've owned the rig since it was new, never noticed the mystery switch til now. BTW the owners manual is somewhat generic, it also covers passenger car features and a variety of entertainment systems.

This must be a common mystery switch in 2004 E-450 cabs. Can anybody solve the mystery?
10 REPLIES 10

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Just a guess, but sounds from your description like a switch to turn on and off the heating element in the mirrors.

This. At a guess, it is a pair of rectangular Velvac mirrors-very common on cutaway Fords of that era. I drove a couple of shuttle buses with the same setup-and yes, the switch is for mirror heat.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2003 had the same switch for heated mirrors. Donโ€™t want it on by accident. My grandkids love switches! I sure miss power windows on our newer RV!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bordercollie wrote:
Thanks, that's probably a heated mirror switch will check it.

Gary, if you first look into that mirror then flip the switch โ€˜onโ€™ , if you see your reflection appear younger then its a booster switch. An Ego Booster Switch, they are referred to as a EBS.
I use mine all the time. :). Even if its just a heater switch, its fun to play pretend.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that's probably a heated mirror switch will check it.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, it is most likely to switch on the heat for the rearview mirrors.

It isn't mentioned in the Ford manual because the mirrors (and their controls) are not Ford products, but e.g. Velvac or other aftermarket mirrors. The stock Ford mirrors generally aren't used because they don't extend far enough out from the cab for good visibility alongside an RV body, I assume.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like this? Mirror defroster

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not a Ford looking switch then maybe it's your battery switch over, so that the coach can power the vehicle to jumpstart it.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
wiltoad, that heated mirror switch may be the answer. The mirror control has it's own switch. I'll try it and see if I feel warmth. We don't get much frost here in SoCal.

Thanks!

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a guess, but sounds from your description like a switch to turn on and off the heating element in the mirrors.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
It selects the left or right mirror for the controls.