Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black water tank treatments

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I am wondering how many of you use some sort of chemicals in your black tank? Do you think it helps with breakdown of stuff in tank?
I am NOT looking for TP suggestions or anything like that . I know use plenty of water. I am just wanted to see how many people actually uses them?

happy Camping
44 REPLIES 44

jbls
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I find that more times than not, the smell in the coach is from the kitchen gray tank when emptied due to rotting food particles. I now add treatment to that tank as well.

What do you use?

I have a really nasty smell coming up all the drains when I turn on the water.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I find that more times than not, the smell in the coach is from the kitchen gray tank when emptied due to rotting food particles. I now add treatment to that tank as well.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

dedmiston
CarnationSailor wrote:
Boon Docker wrote:
Been using 1 cup Calgon, 1/2 cup laundry soap (about every third dump) for two decades and have had great success. Sensors have even worked great.

Do you use 1 cup of Calgon liquid water softener or 1 cup of Calgon powdered water softener?

Thanks

Liquid Calgon is what many of us use.

Calgon, Dawn soap, and water do the trick for me. I rarely get clogs on my sensors anymore.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boon Docker wrote:
Been using 1 cup Calgon, 1/2 cup laundry soap (about every third dump) for two decades and have had great success. Sensors have even worked great.

Do you use 1 cup of Calgon liquid water softener or 1 cup of Calgon powdered water softener?

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Hmmmm....Interesting discussion, on whether or not RidX or other chemicals actually break anything down or not. I have no idea if they do or not. Have to agree, though, that you don't keep the 'stuff' in your RV holding tank long enough for much if any decomposition to occur, regardless.

That said, I *do* use chemicals, for the simple fact that it minimizes the odor. That alone makes it worth it for me.

I've been RV camping for over 20 years now. I've learned that when you dump your tanks (especially the black tank), its very easy for some 'odor' to get out, no matter how careful you are or how well-maintained your equipment is. Also know that campground RV sites frequently put you in close proximity to your neighbors. Said neighbors and those nearby at a dump station, will very much appreciate you using some kind of chemicals (or dish soap, whatever) to reduce the smell some.

Thank you for the common sense and respect for others.

Rid-X makes several products, one is specially made as a deodorizer for RV use.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Dihydrogen monoxide is the chemical I use...cause they are 'holding' tanks not septic tanks

That stuff will kill you if it's not properly handled.

I find it works better with a combination capful of calgon and laundry detergent.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmmm....Interesting discussion, on whether or not RidX or other chemicals actually break anything down or not. I have no idea if they do or not. Have to agree, though, that you don't keep the 'stuff' in your RV holding tank long enough for much if any decomposition to occur, regardless.

That said, I *do* use chemicals, for the simple fact that it minimizes the odor. That alone makes it worth it for me.

I've been RV camping for over 20 years now. I've learned that when you dump your tanks (especially the black tank), its very easy for some 'odor' to get out, no matter how careful you are or how well-maintained your equipment is. Also know that campground RV sites frequently put you in close proximity to your neighbors. Said neighbors and those nearby at a dump station, will very much appreciate you using some kind of chemicals (or dish soap, whatever) to reduce the smell some.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Fidel_Gastro
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather waste my money on beer and bourbon. They're not septic systems but holding tanks. Maybe if you leave it full of poop for two months after adding some Ridx or something it, might start breaking something down, but with the relatively low volume I doubt it.

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Been RVing most of my life. Only ever use water and lots of it. For the length of time waste is in the holding tanks I can't see how chemicals do much other than act like perfume. Aside from that they can wreak havoc on the natural microbes in the receiving sewer systems.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

flathead92
Explorer
Explorer
the main thing is to put lots of water in toilet before using it
next event, look at a porta potty and see how much water they use also I here a product called UNIQUE RV DIGEST-IT works very well

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Where's the poo mountain guys? They seem to be missing from this conversation.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
jbls wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Holding tanks do not need anything and neither does septic systems, water is your best friend in both cases.

Then why does my holding tank usually get plugged up when I DON'T use RidX? With RidX I see a few small pieces of TP--- 1/2" square at most--- and the liquid color is a medium to dark tan. Without RidX I see full squares of TP and the liquid color is a slightly tinted transparent tan. I have been using septic safe TP (it costs no more than regular TP).

And I use lots of water.

You seem to have forgotten that you also did this:
jbls wrote:
... The guys on either side told me to use RidX and a septic safe TP.

You can use single ply Scott paper and it will dissolve completely in water.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
jbls wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

Holding tanks do not need anything and neither does septic systems, water is your best friend in both cases.

Then why does my holding tank usually get plugged up when I DON'T use RidX? With RidX I see a few small pieces of TP--- 1/2" square at most--- and the liquid color is a medium to dark tan. Without RidX I see full squares of TP and the liquid color is a slightly tinted transparent tan. I have been using septic safe TP (it costs no more than regular TP).

And I use lots of water.

Because you're unique?

jbls
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

And I use lots of water.