Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: black water tank treatments
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> black water tank treatments

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

Holding tanks do not need anything and neither does septic systems

Both of them stink, so I use chemicals in the RV and step aside when having my septic tank pumped.

Don't put your nose in the tank and you don't need anything to make it smell like roses.

I don't know what folks are doing when flushing a RV toilet but you only need a couple of seconds with the toilet valve open to flush. Not much time to get much odor from the tank and what does get in can be wisked away by using your bathroom vent fan.

jbls

Eagar, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Holding tanks do not need anything and neither does septic systems, water is your best friend in both cases.

Then why does my holding tank usually get plugged up when I DON'T use RidX? With RidX I see a few small pieces of TP--- 1/2" square at most--- and the liquid color is a medium to dark tan. Without RidX I see full squares of TP and the liquid color is a slightly tinted transparent tan. I have been using septic safe TP (it costs no more than regular TP).

And I use lots of water.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 06:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jbls wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

Holding tanks do not need anything and neither does septic systems, water is your best friend in both cases.

Then why does my holding tank usually get plugged up when I DON'T use RidX? With RidX I see a few small pieces of TP--- 1/2" square at most--- and the liquid color is a medium to dark tan. Without RidX I see full squares of TP and the liquid color is a slightly tinted transparent tan. I have been using septic safe TP (it costs no more than regular TP).

And I use lots of water.

Because you're unique?

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jbls wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

And I use lots of water.

You seem to have forgotten that you also did this:
jbls wrote:

... The guys on either side told me to use RidX and a septic safe TP.

You can use single ply Scott paper and it will dissolve completely in water.

Dave

* This post was edited 07/15/21 07:43am by magicbus *

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where's the poo mountain guys? They seem to be missing from this conversation.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

flathead92

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the main thing is to put lots of water in toilet before using it
next event, look at a porta potty and see how much water they use also I here a product called UNIQUE RV DIGEST-IT works very well

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been RVing most of my life. Only ever use water and lots of it. For the length of time waste is in the holding tanks I can't see how chemicals do much other than act like perfume. Aside from that they can wreak havoc on the natural microbes in the receiving sewer systems.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Fidel Gastro

Outside

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd rather waste my money on beer and bourbon. They're not septic systems but holding tanks. Maybe if you leave it full of poop for two months after adding some Ridx or something it, might start breaking something down, but with the relatively low volume I doubt it.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmmm....Interesting discussion, on whether or not RidX or other chemicals actually break anything down or not. I have no idea if they do or not. Have to agree, though, that you don't keep the 'stuff' in your RV holding tank long enough for much if any decomposition to occur, regardless.

That said, I *do* use chemicals, for the simple fact that it minimizes the odor. That alone makes it worth it for me.

I've been RV camping for over 20 years now. I've learned that when you dump your tanks (especially the black tank), its very easy for some 'odor' to get out, no matter how careful you are or how well-maintained your equipment is. Also know that campground RV sites frequently put you in close proximity to your neighbors. Said neighbors and those nearby at a dump station, will very much appreciate you using some kind of chemicals (or dish soap, whatever) to reduce the smell some.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Dihydrogen monoxide is the chemical I use...cause they are 'holding' tanks not septic tanks

That stuff will kill you if it's not properly handled.

I find it works better with a combination capful of calgon and laundry detergent.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> black water tank treatments
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.