cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AT&T anounces truly unlimited wireless data plan

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T must be feeling some pressure from T-Mobile. Unlimited, un-throttled, data on their top wireless plan at no increase in price.

AT&T Unlimited Wireless Plan just got better.
14 REPLIES 14

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Sagebrush wrote:

Just mirror the phone to whatever you want.
I don't know what the data difference is between doing that, or using the hotspot and the TV's wifi.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
chindog wrote:
I got all excited until I clicked on the link and learned that hotspot data is limited to 40gb per month. Per the article, unlimited hotspot data is a pipe dream.
Yeah, that's always the gotcha. I can't do all my surfing or watch movies on a phone.

Just mirror the phone to whatever you want. I've had the unlimited 4g for years now and I personally was fine with the 100 gigs unthrottled. Now that its unlimited at full speed and 5g I may try higher quality movie downloads. I'm starting to see more 5g available around here and its very fast.

My Samsung phone and tablet can use a USB-C to HDMI cable, that allows you good quality video, works on my 60" fine. Using the HDMI cable for the Television cuts out the need for a Chrome Cast device or Roku ect. for mirroring. I plug into a home theater receiver, so I get the good audio too without needing Bluetooth speakers or the tiny TV speakers. I mostly do HBO Max movies since it comes with the phone service or the Dish watch anywhere app.

The phone produces a better quality picture and sound through the cable without over heating. Most of the Samsung phones I've had will mirror through a cable. The S9, S10, S20 and now the S21+ get the job done. I use the phone to stream live news or music for hours sometimes, I use Spotify and SirusXM.

If this 5g unlimited stays around I'll probably drop the Satellite service and stream everything.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
AT&T has tried that before then cut it off before.
Will they do it again???
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chindog wrote:
I got all excited until I clicked on the link and learned that hotspot data is limited to 40gb per month. Per the article, unlimited hotspot data is a pipe dream.

Hotspot is unlimited on Verizon Visible 4G/5G. Though only one device can be connected at a time, and limited to 5Mbps down/up speeds.

Haven't noticed any issues at this speed with remote work, or with MS Teams and Zoom meetings using hotspot. Stream HD movies on Netflix, HBO Max, Amazon Prime. Though you can also cast movies to smart TV at full speed, mine running 140Mbps(4G) on my iPhone.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
chindog wrote:
Yeah, that's always the gotcha. I can't do all my surfing or watch movies on a phone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Consumer Cellular just doesn't work well here, even though ATT works fine. Same with Cricket, its slow and limited. But the phone side works okay. My friends still use Consumer Cellular and the text messages don't make it though quickly, its really slow. ATT is almost instant even with pictures. They are not offering the same level of service as ATT, especially if you have a 5g phone.

I can't get any Verizon signal where I live now, Sprint and T-Mobile are useless around here. At least the ATT Elite plan works fairly well. I have two lines and I haven't ran out of hot spot data.

I stream to the television by mirroring or a HDMI cable, so technically its unlimited now. The 40 gigs of hot spot has a 128 mbps max after that. Thats $83.99 plus taxes per month.

With the SureCall booster antenna on a 20' pole I can stream movies fairly well. The Elite plan comes with the HBO Max service included. I use Google Chrome casting now, but I'm having trouble with it staying connected. I'm going to try Roku and see if its any better. The sticks have been having over heating issues with HBO Max, so I need to try one that connects with a cable. Maybe that will be better, but I mainly use my phone directly anyway.

I'm thinking about dropping Dish Tv, but it is nice sometimes to watch Sat Tv when you can't get cell signal. But the ATT coverage has improved nicely during the last 5 years where I travel.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a now Consumer Cellular under AT&T but can't recall all the different names it has been since 1993 at least three previous to the how AT&T. ,
When we went fulltime we ported our home number to Verizon and I kept the"AT&T number. We have been in areas where AT&T out preformed Verizon.
I switched from AT&T to Consumers Cellular because it was costing me $50 A month and not getting much use and got the same service for2/3 the cost plus Data.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, in Arlington VA next to the nations capitol your going to have blazing speeds to impress the politicians. Try it in Podunk Iowa and see what your 5G speeds are, if you can even get a signal.

I keep an AT&T mobile account as backup smartphone. Though it doesn't compare to Verizon Visible service which is also unlimited 4G/5G data, including unlimited one device hotspot limited to 5Mbps for $25. month (on Party Pay). AT&T still has a way to go to compete with Visible.

One recent development I've seen is that 5G mobile is beginning to live up to its claims. That is if you are relatively close to 5G towers, mine about a mile away. The last speed test check on my T-Mobile unlimited 5G/4G home internet:

Finally competing with existing cable operators as many are basically monopolies in my area.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
AT&T is still honoring my $20/mo unlimited data Connected Car Plan with the SIM in a Netgear hotspot instead of the original Mobley device. I don't expect it to last forever, but I'll take it while it does...

Me, too!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
AT&T is still honoring my $20/mo unlimited data Connected Car Plan with the SIM in a Netgear hotspot instead of the original Mobley device. I don't expect it to last forever, but I'll take it while it does...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Sagebrush
Explorer
Explorer
Occasionally I've hit the 100 gig throttling and it was really slow. I guess I can stream more movies now! I'll have to test it out. ๐Ÿ™‚

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Time will tell if it is another lie from AT&T. I have two AT&T account services now for many years locked in to grandfathered earlier good deals but they have also cheated me out of hundreds of dollars in the past using conflicting confusing messages and instructions from different AT&T sources such as their stores, over the phone and internet chat, etc. Their top management loves to waste billions of dollars on failed takeovers and pass cost on to consumer. I will eventually dump them.