Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2022 F350 order options for TC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2022 F350 order options for TC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Fish mojo

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregun wrote:

OP, I like/agree with all your choices for truck/options with the only exception being
I personally would probably skip the 4x4 on a dually to get a lower camper & COG.

I’m really thinking the need for 4x4 through. My current Ram I never put it in 4 wheel. Worst “off-road” I will do is down Deschutes canyon and that is just gravel and washboard. I have the benefit of being retired, so I can pick and chose where and when I go. Biggest concern would be a wet and slippery boat ramp when I don’t have the weight of the camper on the rear axle.

I do need the Supercab/8’ bed configuration to fit by garage and turning radius for my house. I realize there are drawbacks vs crew cab/8’ bed but it’s just too long. I could do CC/ shortbed, but that limits my camper selection and is dicey on COG. I think SC/longbed is a better choice than CC/SB.

BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you're on the money with the options choices, the only thing I would change is substituting a Ram 3500 for the F-350 [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

I would stick with the 4x4, granted we don't use ours much either but when you need it, you need it. I got the CC/LB and it is one long truck. If it was a dually it would really be a beast. I agree with you that for hauling a camper, the XC/LB combo is better than the CC/SB for the reasons you mentioned.

I would also spring for the 5er prep, having the 7-pin in the bed means you can plug the camper in there and have the one on the hitch available for whatever you're towing.

I'm surprised the that they will even order it for you, the chip shortage has pinched production so much that dealers can't even get lot inventory. Somebody posted over in tow vehicles the other day that their local dealer wants $5k over sticker on anything new, no negotiation.

* This post was edited 07/15/21 06:05am by BurbMan *

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from a short bed crew to long bed super with no added length. Long bed crew is way too long in my opinion. We can always fold down the front console if we need to put a grand kid in the front with us one day.

Also enjoying the ability of the diesel to go 80 on the freeways where conditions and limits allow. The old gasser could do 80 downhill with a tailwind only with the camper on.

The 4X4 is handy for getting out of tough situations (we try to avoid using it to get in). Many slick boat ramps require 4 wheel low.

'18 Bigfoot 1500
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your anticipated travel style must be very different than mine, because the primary use I see for a truck camper is getting off the beaten path. We've required 4x4 many times, including to get to the site I'm writing this reply from.

2021 Ram 5500 Limited 84CA Cummins 4x4 w/ flatbed
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2.0T (follow or TC toad)
2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB 2925W/22.8kWh, 30K multi-split
2016 Arctic Fox 1140 WB 1800W/11.4kWh

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4 (low range specifically) is awesome for climbing up on leveling blocks under my tires. Just idle up and down from them, no harsh gas/brake rocking the heck out of the camper.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never had a need for 4x4 and I drove 18% logging grades with my truck.
Diesel delivers huge torque at low rpm, so you don't have to harsh the gas to get anywhere.
When empty, I drove 30% park grade and F350 took it on 3rd gear.
But I camp in dry climates, when remember from times when I lived in 4-seasons, that for slippery condition 4x4 with 3 locking differentials is highly admired.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 locking differentials?
That’s not even possible on a vehicle with only 2 axles and locking front diffs don’t come from the factory on any but maybe a couple specialized trucks. Like the newer Power Wagon

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toddb wrote:

Adaptive cruise control

It sucks.

Pretty soon you wonder why you are going so slow and realize that you have gradually slowed down to what ever the speed of the guy in front of you going.

My work truck has it and if I could turn it off I would.

It snows where I live. I'll never own a 2-wd pickup.

Check the resale of a 2-wd too.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start with checking resale of gas trucks.

n0arp

FT

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

toddb wrote:

Adaptive cruise control

It sucks.

Pretty soon you wonder why you are going so slow and realize that you have gradually slowed down to what ever the speed of the guy in front of you going.

My work truck has it and if I could turn it off I would.

Adaptive cruise is awesome. My Ram, and I assume other mfgs, have the ability to choose whether to use adaptive or standard cruise at set time.

I wouldn't buy another truck without it. Your truck slowing to the speed of a slow driver in front of you is a good "issue" to have. Just pay attention like you would need to with standard cruise to prevent hitting them, and pass them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2022 F350 order options for TC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.