cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing Capacity

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to re-visit this subject with a little more specificity to my situation. I ordered back in March a 2022 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA with the new to this year liquid spring option. This was before the new brochure and specs were posted and right at the beginning of the take over by Thor.

Regarding my towing capacity, I am a bit confused. The brochure for the 36LA with liquid spring option shows a hitch rating of 5000 lbs. and a max trailer weight of 6000 lbs. On the surface, this doesn’t make sense.

To further confuse things the GVWR is 26,000 lbs. and the GCWR is 30,000 lbs. according to the brochure. This is a difference of 4000 lbs. So, what weight can I actually tow? 4000, 5000 or 6000 lbs.??

By everything I’ve read, I think I am limited to 4000 lbs. If that’s the case I’m kinda screwed because my new Bronco Sport is 3500 lbs. and the aluminum trailer is 1100 lbs. FWIW the non liquid spring version has a 6000 lb. spread between GVWR and GCWR. I may have sacrificed towing capacity for ride/handling quality.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4
31 REPLIES 31

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:
willald wrote:
Alex and Tee wrote:
...I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

That is sort of what I did. Did the tow dolly thing for a while when first got the Motorhome back in 2012. Only took one season (about a year) to learn it wasn't for me. Sold the dolly, traded the vehicle in for one that was flat towable, and went to flat towing.

That was about 8 years ago; have flat towed ever since.

At least in your case, if you do decide to go to flat towing, you won't have to trade vehicles. You'll already have the right vehicle for it. 🙂

If/when you do decide to go to flat towing, take a long, hard look at the Readybrake Elite tow bar. Can be had for around $1500, has built in braking, no need to spend another $1k on a totally separate braking system that you have to keep putting in and taking out. With a Readybrake setup, you can easily set things up completely for flat towing for half of that $6k that guy quoted you. Even with someone else doing the installation work.

So let me ask a question about the Readybrake. One of the reasons for a brake buddy (or whatever brand) is if the Toad becomes detached from the MH the brake buddy will apply the brakes to stop it (in theory). How does that part of the equation work with the Readybrake?

Al

There is a breakaway kit. It's essentially a cable that applies the towed vehicles brakes if it becomes unhooked. Simple, mechanical and very cheap.

...What way2roll said. Readybrake has a very simple, effective cable device for breakaway. It is very cheap, or I believe in some cases they will bundle it with a tow bar purchase (or they used to).

JMHO, but no matter what braking system you use or even if you don't use one at all, a break-away setup of some kind is a must.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
FloridaRosebud wrote:
willald wrote:
Alex and Tee wrote:
...I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

That is sort of what I did. Did the tow dolly thing for a while when first got the Motorhome back in 2012. Only took one season (about a year) to learn it wasn't for me. Sold the dolly, traded the vehicle in for one that was flat towable, and went to flat towing.

At least in your case, if you do decide to go to flat towing, you won't have to trade vehicles. You'll already have the right vehicle for it. 🙂

If/when you do decide to go to flat towing, take a long, hard look at the Readybrake Elite tow bar. Can be had for around $1500, has built in braking, no need to spend another $1k on a totally separate braking system that you have to keep putting in and taking out. With a Readybrake setup, you can easily set things up completely for flat towing for half of that $6k that guy quoted you. Even with someone else doing the installation work.

So let me ask a question about the Readybrake. One of the reasons for a brake buddy (or whatever brand) is if the Toad becomes detached from the MH the brake buddy will apply the brakes to stop it (in theory). How does that part of the equation work with the Readybrake?

Al

There is a breakaway kit. It's essentially a cable that applies the towed vehicles brakes if it becomes unhooked. Simple, mechanical and very cheap.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
willald wrote:
Alex and Tee wrote:

Al

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alex and Tee wrote:

Will and Cheryl

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Alex and Tee wrote:
Not correct Dodge Guy. I checked the owners manual before making the purchase. The Colorado 4x4 can be towed 4 down or dolly towed.

That said, thanks to another poster, I found a dealer locally that has a Master Tow dolly with electric brakes for $1520 plus tax. Still not convinced to flat tow and spend the extra $$ but appreciate everyone’s input. I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.

Nothing wrong with that approach. I started with a dolly and went to flat tow. People snatch up dolly's fast so it's likely if you want to sell it in the future you can probably get near what you paid.

Sounds like you are putting together a nice set up.

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Not correct Dodge Guy. I checked the owners manual before making the purchase. The Colorado 4x4 can be towed 4 down or dolly towed.

That said, thanks to another poster, I found a dealer locally that has a Master Tow dolly with electric brakes for $1520 plus tax. Still not convinced to flat tow and spend the extra $$ but appreciate everyone’s input. I guess I will learn soon enough if my decision was the right one and I can always sell the dolly and go 4 down at any time if it turns out to be the wrong decision.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Alex and Tee wrote:
Regarding flat tow vs. dolly tow, I spoke with one of the service guys awhile back at LaMesa where we are buying our Tiffin and he told me that it would cost around $6k for them to set up a vehicle for flat tow. The parts alone I priced out with Blue Ox and a Stealth brake system and that alone is $2900. The dolly I am looking at is $2250 with brakes and $450 shipping.

Yeah, that's way high. It cost me $1100 installed for the system on my car (Acadia), $1200 for tow bar, and less than $1000 for the brake buddy. So $6,000 is about twice what it should cost, and as others have said, WAY easier to flat tow than use a dolly or trailer.

Al

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Alex and Tee wrote:
Because my wife doesn’t like the Jeep. Happy wife, happy life.

Really? None of them? Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, others (I hate the Wrangler as well).
Of course, Jeep is not the only other option. There are a plethora of cars/SUV's that are towable 4 wheels down.
Sorry, hope this does not distract from the OP's original topic.

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your kind offer. I am unable to install this myself as I haven't the place or the tools. I am uncomfortable with buying used. We will have a new RV, new truck and So I want to start with everything new.

I was looking at a dolly that is made by Tow Smart. I was first interested in their stand up dolly but now like the one with the folding tongue. I called Master Tow and they have a dolly with electric brakes for $1900 and a dealer near me so thank you for the heads up on that.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Alex and Tee wrote:
Regarding flat tow vs. dolly tow, I spoke with one of the service guys awhile back at LaMesa where we are buying our Tiffin and he told me that it would cost around $6k for them to set up a vehicle for flat tow. The parts alone I priced out with Blue Ox and a Stealth brake system and that alone is $2900. The dolly I am looking at is $2250 with brakes and $450 shipping.

I set up our CRV to flat tow for about $1700. Ready brute elite tow bars with integrated brakes and blue ox base plates. Of course a shop will cost you more, but a quote of $6k was someone not wanting to do the work. And an RV shop is likely the most expensive place to have it installed. A local auto shop would do it for much less, or do it yourself for free. Taking my time, it was a 6 hour job with basic tools and that was completely removing the front of the car and taking my time. And where are you buying a dolly for $2250 ($2700 total) ? You can get a master tow with built in brakes new for $1600. Cheaper if you look on Craglist or Ebay.

Since we moved to a FW I still have my ready brute elite bars with built in surge brakes that I don't need. I could let them go for much less than you'd pay new. PM me if interested.

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Alex_and_Tee
Explorer
Explorer
I could be wrong but I think the full size Bronco’s can be flat towed. The smaller Bronco Sport can not.
Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you found an answer. I also must say, that I think you'll be happier in the long run if you set up your Colorado pickup to flat tow. Flat towing is sooooo much easier to hook up and unhook.

I also really like the new Broncos. Its a crying shame that Ford didn't make them flat towable, as that pretty well scratches them off our list.

If Ford ever makes the Bronco flat towable in the future, I'll be one of the first in line to get one.
Will and Cheryl

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
On page 302 of the manual it says a 4x4 can be towed on a dolly by putting the transfer in N. AWD vehicles can’t be towed on a dolly.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...