Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: How many strokes??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > How many strokes??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/14/21 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Follow the instructions I believe would include disassembly and inspection.
afaik filling the hub is to prevent water intrusion when launching a boat.

Otherwise pump slowly while turning the wheel.


These are not bearing buddies.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/14/21 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slownsy wrote:

Sorry but you to are just as bad, I had a new travel trailer som years ago with the Dexter setup, only greased them a few times and only maybe 5 strokes while spinning wheels, at end of trip removed wheels to adjust brakes as not stopping to great, and guess what grease on to brakes, so maybe the luck of the draw, or maybe som manufacturer use better seals than others.
Frank.


It was poor quality seals.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/14/21 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

The center hub on the ez lube hubs is normally dry initially so it takes A LOT OF GREASE the first time. Easily half a tube. You pump the grease in until you see clean fresh grease come out the end. I use the red grease to see this easier. The next time you'll use much less grease because the center of the hub is now full. There is no set number of pumps. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how.

Rotating the wheel while you're doing it is a must.


Good post.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/15/21 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lol...no more miles over a 5-6 year period than rvers pull their trailers its a moot point. However most never pull a hub to R&R the bearings/brakes on a annual schedule.
Seal brand make no difference if the seal is pushed out of the hub from a grease gun.
I do a annual R&R inspect on my rv and non rv trailers brakes/bearings/suspension.... from habit when I was on the road.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/15/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

The center hub on the ez lube hubs is normally dry initially so it takes A LOT OF GREASE the first time. Easily half a tube. You pump the grease in until you see clean fresh grease come out the end. I use the red grease to see this easier. The next time you'll use much less grease because the center of the hub is now full. There is no set number of pumps. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how.

Rotating the wheel while you're doing it is a must.


Yes, good description!

Just as a reference, my current FW needed 50 strokes, each hub, to fill the bearings and hub cavity. My FW has 5200 lb axles. I did use nearly 2 cartridges of grease.

People say waste of grease. Maybe, but even good quality grease is cheap. I buy a case at a time, from distributor, for my 3 trailers. I hand pack at times, when pulling a hub, but never feared using the zerks.

In my experience, a hub filled with grease, will run about 10 degrees warmer. Not an issue IMO.

Jerry





cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/15/21 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ron3rd wrote:

The center hub on the ez lube hubs is normally dry initially so it takes A LOT OF GREASE the first time. Easily half a tube. You pump the grease in until you see clean fresh grease come out the end. I use the red grease to see this easier. The next time you'll use much less grease because the center of the hub is now full. There is no set number of pumps. Plenty of YouTube videos to show you how.

Rotating the wheel while you're doing it is a must.



And I assume EVERYONE knows that mixing grease can be disastrous ??? So you pump a few shots of grease into those bearing, having no idea what grease those bearings had been packed with prior. So before you do all that pumping grease into those hubs, they were removed initially ,and hand packed with a brand of grease you intend to pump in at a later date ??? I also assume if you pump all the old grease out the front as suggested here all is well ???

Then I also assume the bearings ,brakes ,magnets etc NEVER have to be inspected until you either lose your brakes , or a bearing goes out . Just wondering when do you actually pull a hub ,and really look at things , and properly pack the wheel bearings .

dryfly

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 11/16/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/15/21 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is one of those subjects that apparently needs to be re-debated about every 6 months. It's doubtful either side will ever change the other.

Personally, I repack bearings by hand. When I do, I put the grease in my palm and force the grease into the bearing by sliding the bearing over my palm. Many have done this for years. I don't have a clue as to if this the best way vs. pumping it in.

My question is it takes a fair amount of pressure to get the grease up in the bearing rollers. How can you pressure pump grease this hard into the bearing without it coming out the seal? Even if you are pumping grease successful to fill the wheel, are you really getting it into the bearing? I honestly don't know.

Also, by filling the wheel cavity with grease, would this eliminate the ability of an empty cavity being able to dissipate heat??

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/15/21 05:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Mobile Suites came with the Dexter system. Every or every other year I raised the RV and grabbed the outer edge of each tire and did the push pull to feel for bearing pay. Never needed adjustment so I did the grease pump method. Never a bit of grease escaped. Bearings and races looked new when I changed to oil bath system. I use AMZ/OIL grease.

cummins2014

Utah

Senior Member

Joined: 02/20/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/15/21 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My Mobile Suites came with the Dexter system. Every or every other year I raised the RV and grabbed the outer edge of each tire and did the push pull to feel for bearing pay. Never needed adjustment so I did the grease pump method. Never a bit of grease escaped. Bearings and races looked new when I changed to oil bath system. I use AMZ/OIL grease.


All sounds just dandy , but noticed no one wanted to answer any of my questions. So I am assuming you keep pumping grease until something goes wrong .

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/15/21 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My Mobile Suites came with the Dexter system. Every or every other year I raised the RV and grabbed the outer edge of each tire and did the push pull to feel for bearing pay. Never needed adjustment so I did the grease pump method. Never a bit of grease escaped. Bearings and races looked new when I changed to oil bath system. I use AMZ/OIL grease.


All sounds just dandy , but noticed no one wanted to answer any of my questions. So I am assuming you keep pumping grease until something goes wrong .


With Disk brakes you can see if the seal fails. The design of the seal compresses to the shaft when pressure is applied. Simply pumping synthetic grease will not push past the seal unless it’s bad.

It’s a simple system but I like oil bath better. If I had drum brakes I would only hand pack.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > How many strokes??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.