cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

champion generator mount

BigfootBill
Explorer
Explorer
I am working on building a mount for my 3500 watt champion generator and am struggling to figure out the best way to bolt it down, I want to have it securely mounted and not just strapped down. This model has wheels on one side and a pair of bumpers on the other and they don't line up so it's not as simple as simply removing 4 bumpers and bolting in their place. Has anyone done this before with the 3100, 3400, or 3500 that can make any suggestions or even share what didn't work for them?
2008 Ram 3500
2004 Bigfoot 10.11
7 REPLIES 7

BigfootBill
Explorer
Explorer
Just as an update - I ended up building a frame that captures the generator in the horizontal plane and bolted through the plastic base for security but am also using straps as the primary way of holding it down. I couldn't find a good way to directly bolt it down and trust it to not eventually fall apart.
2008 Ram 3500
2004 Bigfoot 10.11

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Champ 3400. In my noggin, I have envisioned a horizontal steel bar slightly longer than the generator that slides under the handles. It would have slots at the ends where vertical bars could be inserted. Those would then be locked/secured to the platform at the bottom.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

BigfootBill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I will need to mount my generator 6 inches below the hitch so I may as well build a custom fixture to mount it to that can maximize security.

The wheels on this unit are recessed so it's not as simple as removing and bolting in is place, plus I was hoping to retain functionality of the wheels while this frame is bolted on.

The engine mounts have a support structure that goes through the bottom pan so I am going to try and remove them to fit a longer bolt that I can use for my mount.
2008 Ram 3500
2004 Bigfoot 10.11

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I made one. For a smaller gen, but similar ideas can apply.
Previous Forum Post

The pic hosting site is down as of time of posting for maint, but will be up soon, I know you cant see pics, give it a few mins...

I chose this route as a chain is very very easy for a thief to cut, bolt cutters being a stable of thieves.
Mine can be broken, but takes different methods and tools and I tried to make it more difficult to steal. It is only a $600 gen, so not that lucrative for re-sale anyway.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer

Chain through handles and rack locked on top, wife made a vinyl cover and long rubber bungees hold the cover in place. This mount is close enough to the 5W electric in outlet a 25ft cord reaches, I do not have to move the generator to use it.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you wanting to locate the generator?
I just made a tongue mount rack for our 2000xlt.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I had a cage built for my Yamaha 2800 iSEB generator. I had the wheels removed and it is bolted in place.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.