cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Meter

farmingdad
Explorer
Explorer
Does a guy need a meter to check his exhaust temperature.And turbo boost. I notice my heat goes from 180 to 215 when I get on steep grade. Isx 600
11 REPLIES 11

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Agree.

At around 205, you need to be looking at "Plan B" to keep the coolant temperature from continuing to rise.

Basically, find a gear where you are close to the high end of the engine's RPM range. Throttle position short of WOT. Said another way, if you floor it, you can still accelerate.

If pull out available, put transmission in neutral and engine RPM around 1,200. Unless you have a coolant leak causing the overheating, engine temperature will quickly return to thermostatic control.

If not able to pull over, before chancing an engine failure/derate, turn on dash heater to full hot and fan to high. Think of this as an auxiliary radiator. Better for you to be hot for a few minutes, than be stuck at the side of the road and with a significantly lightened wallet.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
farmingdad wrote:
Does a guy need a meter to check his exhaust temperature.And turbo boost. I notice my heat goes from 180 to 215 when I get on steep grade. Isx 600

215 is higher than I would want to see. I've climbed most passes out west and 205ish is as high as I've seen. But I'm heavy & underpowered so I downshift early & often. I have been in 3rd gear reaching the summit of some of the bad ones.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
If your engine is OE, not "modified", you do not need a EGT gauge. Cummins took care of insuring that it could not over-temp.

Absolutely if you have modified it, adding more fuel, you need one.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
farmingdad wrote:
I have a hydraulic belt driven radiator fan. How can it be adjusted to kick on a little quicker.

Hit the down arrow on the Alison shift pad a couple times.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog told you what to do. Instead you want to put a thermostat in it different from what Cummins provided or alter the fan setup different than what Spartan specified. I dont get it.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

farmingdad
Explorer
Explorer
I have a hydraulic belt driven radiator fan. How can it be adjusted to kick on a little quicker.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, unless you are running a "tune" your engine computer should automatically de-fuel when ET"s get excessively high. Boost and EG functions are commonly over-ridden with performance tunes, hence the need for gauges.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

farmingdad
Explorer
Explorer
No it doesnโ€™t have a boost gauge. My Monaco did This is on Spartan. I deleted It an notice heat moves a little more donโ€™t think in danger zone I hope not. Iโ€™m wondering about putting a 180 thermostat in

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you are letting the Alison do the drivingโ€ฆput it in D and push the right pedal. A Alison 4000 will lug a 600 ISXโ€ฆ will not down shift until below 1400 rpms which is fine in hilly terrain BUT not when climbing a mountain. You need to manually downshift and keep the rpms above 1800 when climbing for more than 2 minutes. Doing this should keep the temp below 200 and the exhaust temp well below 1200โ€ฆif youโ€™ll downshift you do not need an exhaust temp gauge. Iโ€™m surprised you do not have a boost pressure gauge on the dash.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IT would not hurt but... The question is how much it would help.
Now a processional highly trained Operator (Not just a driver) Might (or not) know the meaning of the readings... My brother was both a Semi Owner/operator and a diesel/gasoline mechanic I'm not that good with Diesels. He likely would know what an out of range reading meant. and what the normal range is. I don't.

So the meters MIGHT be of benefit to him. NOt to me without further research and study.

Since I do not know what you know in this regard The best I can do is guess. And my guess is your knowledge of the meter readings is closer to mine than my professional operator brotehr's.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Probably not too abnormal. Keep the RPMs up very high when youโ€™re going up a steep hill also if your radiators a bit dirty it can cause an increase in temperature. If the engine coolant hasnโ€™t been changed in the last 3 to 5 years that can aggravate the situation.Mine is done the same thing on steep hills. The important thing is to keep the engine RPM up high very high to keep the water circulating good.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer