Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Meter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
farmingdad

ky

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does a guy need a meter to check his exhaust temperature.And turbo boost. I notice my heat goes from 180 to 215 when I get on steep grade. Isx 600

Flute Man

Payson, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably not too abnormal. Keep the RPMs up very high when you’re going up a steep hill also if your radiators a bit dirty it can cause an increase in temperature. If the engine coolant hasn’t been changed in the last 3 to 5 years that can aggravate the situation.Mine is done the same thing on steep hills. The important thing is to keep the engine RPM up high very high to keep the water circulating good.

Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
[email protected]
602-321-8141
Full-timer

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IT would not hurt but... The question is how much it would help.
Now a processional highly trained Operator (Not just a driver) Might (or not) know the meaning of the readings... My brother was both a Semi Owner/operator and a diesel/gasoline mechanic I'm not that good with Diesels. He likely would know what an out of range reading meant. and what the normal range is. I don't.

So the meters MIGHT be of benefit to him. NOt to me without further research and study.

Since I do not know what you know in this regard The best I can do is guess. And my guess is your knowledge of the meter readings is closer to mine than my professional operator brotehr's.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you are letting the Alison do the driving…put it in D and push the right pedal. A Alison 4000 will lug a 600 ISX… will not down shift until below 1400 rpms which is fine in hilly terrain BUT not when climbing a mountain. You need to manually downshift and keep the rpms above 1800 when climbing for more than 2 minutes. Doing this should keep the temp below 200 and the exhaust temp well below 1200…if you’ll downshift you do not need an exhaust temp gauge. I’m surprised you do not have a boost pressure gauge on the dash.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

farmingdad

ky

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No it doesn’t have a boost gauge. My Monaco did This is on Spartan. I deleted It an notice heat moves a little more don’t think in danger zone I hope not. I’m wondering about putting a 180 thermostat in

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my experience, unless you are running a "tune" your engine computer should automatically de-fuel when ET"s get excessively high. Boost and EG functions are commonly over-ridden with performance tunes, hence the need for gauges.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

farmingdad

ky

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a hydraulic belt driven radiator fan. How can it be adjusted to kick on a little quicker.

Bikeboy57

Inverness, FL

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog told you what to do. Instead you want to put a thermostat in it different from what Cummins provided or alter the fan setup different than what Spartan specified. I dont get it.

Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

farmingdad wrote:

I have a hydraulic belt driven radiator fan. How can it be adjusted to kick on a little quicker.

Hit the down arrow on the Alison shift pad a couple times.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your engine is OE, not "modified", you do not need a EGT gauge. Cummins took care of insuring that it could not over-temp.

Absolutely if you have modified it, adding more fuel, you need one.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.