cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Travel trailer battery not charging

Ejraste
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, first travel trailer and have went on 2 trips so far and only connected to Off shore power. I have my battery disconnect key on and for some reason my battery will not charge. Itโ€™s completely dead. Any suggestions or did I just get a faulty battery?
6 REPLIES 6

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
The cheap red key type of disconnect switches can fail, so check voltage on both sides of the switch.

Yes they fail, and even when they seem to work. sometimes they aren't making solid contact, and the battery won't charge.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have you read the basics of RV battery use, charging and storage? That will help you a bunch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The cheap red key type of disconnect switches can fail, so check voltage on both sides of the switch.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is normally a fuse or circuit breaker adjacent to trailer batteries. On travel trailer, it can be where the large battery cable connects to the trailer wiring under the tongue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn the battery disconnect switch the other way and see if that fixes the problem. If the battery disconnect, umm, disconnects the battery from the converter/charger, the battery will not charge.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
So when your trailer is plugged into shore power, and the battery disconnect in the on position, what voltage do you get when you connect your volt meter to the two terminals of the battery