cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Pump Keeps Running

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I've researched the net and tried all the easy stuff and have had no luck figuring this out. I spend most of my time hooked to city water and don't have a leak. When I switch to my tank the pump just runs constantly. I replaced the pump and the same thing happens. Prior to replacement the pump would cycle every couple hours which I thought could be related. A lot of articles I'm finding talk about a pressure switch but isn't that part of the pump that I replaced?

2016 Keystone Hideout 5th wheel, pump is a basic Flojet with the blue slide/clips to attach the lines.
9 REPLIES 9

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtofell1 wrote:
Figured it out and feel pretty dumb. I relocated the city water connection to the back of the RV for ease of connecting and when I first changed the pump it was hooked up (but house hose off). Today I had unhooked the hose and it was spraying water back out my new hookup. I'm now assuming there must be an anti-backflow valve at the stock city water connection.

The odd thing is the old pump was doing the same thing long before I moved my city water hookup (this is why I swapped the pump). Anyway, all is well.... for now. Thanks for the replies everyone.

One of the items in my post

City Water inlet has a check valve to prevent back flow from RV into City Water System when using the pump
Pump has an internal check valve to prevent back flow thru pump when using city water
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Thanks for following up and letting us know. So often we don't hear back.

I think that's because people don't want to admit to feeling dumb.... I'm so used to it that it's like second nature ๐Ÿ™‚

Could be, but we all learn from mistakes!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:

I think that's because people don't want to admit to feeling dumb.... I'm so used to it that it's like second nature ๐Ÿ™‚

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Figured it out and feel pretty dumb. I relocated the city water connection to the back of the RV for ease of connecting and when I first changed the pump it was hooked up (but house hose off). Today I had unhooked the hose and it was spraying water back out my new hookup. I'm now assuming there must be an anti-backflow valve at the stock city water connection.

The odd thing is the old pump was doing the same thing long before I moved my city water hookup (this is why I swapped the pump). Anyway, all is well.... for now. Thanks for the replies everyone.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lets see---pump used to just run a minute to hit pressure then shut off, then it seemed to run longer and longer. I finally detected a very small leak, drip, at the pump housing, fixed that, same problem. Took pump apart cleaned it up, saw nothing wrong and put it back in. Now still running forever and low water pressure. I bought a new pump, $87 on Amazon, installed it now have good pressure, and it might run a minute and shuts off. I had cleaned the filter the first time I had it apart but that is yearly maintenance. Just finished this a week ago and don't know if it helps you but there it is

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pump running continuously:
*How do you fill your fresh water tank----FILL valve or Gravity Port
Fill Valve---leaking thru so pump round-robins and can't build pressure
*LEAK...wrap TP around fittings then check in an hour. Wet TP---LEAK
*Pump Check Valve leaking by....new pump should have cured that issue
*Bad Pump Pressure switch----New pump should have cured that issue (switch is on head of pump...give it a whack with handle of screw driver)
*City Water Inlet Check Valve leaking...check for drippings from connection
*Water heater T&P Weeping
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or you have a leak in the line somewhere, sucking air.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
May not be the same issue, but we had that on a trip two years ago. Hubby found the problem was a clogged filter leading to the pump. He took it out, cleaned it, replaced it and it works.