cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Morgantown, WV to Blackwater Falls SP

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We'll be driving our class B, so we're not long or anything - just want to avoid poorly taken care of back roads - definitely want to avoid gravel roads.

So - should we follow Google maps, which gives us shortcuts on who knows what kind of roads (92 and 24), or should we stick with the known numbered roads like 119, 50, and 219. Changing the route to stay on those roads will add 11 minutes, so seems like a good idea to me.

But, maybe 92 and 24 are really OK roads.

Anyone familiar with this area and these roads?

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics
5 REPLIES 5

Fidel_Gastro
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe it's changed, but during a week we spent in 2020 at BWFSP campground there wash a rash of overnight thefts in the campground. Bikes, grills, stoves, kayaks, anything that was not nailed down was growing legs and walking off overnight. The scuttlebutt at the time was local meth smoking tweakers out for a quick payday.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
We were in there last Oct. Not a lot of room but with the B you should be fine. Don't remember anywhere to eat in there though. We stayed at Sand Springs campground. Ate at Little Sandys in Bruceton Mills.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE - thanks for telling me those are state highways - made me look up map symbols. Now I know the roads I was worried about should be OK - and I'll know the symbols going forward. I've been steered to some pretty awful roads by our GPS - good to check everything out before we go.

ferndaleflyer - thanks for pointing out another alternate route. That's actually only a few minutes longer and we could stop for lunch at Coopers Rock State Forest.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
depends on if you are in a hurry or not. You could run I-68 over to 219 and take that to straight to BWF.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Numbered state highways are nearly always decent paved roads, in my experience, suitable for most any vehicle. There are a few exceptions here and there, of course. I don't have personal experience with these particular roads; but I would not give a second thought to planning to travel over them with my class C.

With a few spot checks in Google maps street view mode, they look like ordinary decent two-lane paved roads, with some areas of rather nice looking scenery and some towns that might require one to slow down a bit.