cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing My Boat Behind My Fiver'

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some opinions from those who have done this,,, i have a Dodge 3500 diesel dually with a 36' CC fiver that I travel from Ontario to Florida and I'm considering bringing my 20' inboard boat with me. I understand that triple towing is illegal in Georgia and Florida but I've seen so many doing it and have been told by many that the police don't bother snow-birds doing it. Again I'd like to hear your opinions,,

thanks in advance!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
22 REPLIES 22

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously(!) requirements vary by state.

Ex: California. Double tow is OK (length limit applies) if:
The tow vehicle is 1T, & you have a Class A license.

At the time I double towed, there was *not* a Non-Commercial class A,
but would guess the Non-Com would (now) be OK.

IMO your dice to roll. No matter where you travel, lots of LEOs have better things to do on the freeways/expressways, etc. - many others do not.

Expensive if you are the "recipient" of the ones who do not! :W

Good luck !!

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
laknox wrote:
richclover wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
The forum really is slow when you have this few of comments on what is always a hot topic that causes many to get their panties in a bunch.

I've towed a boat tandem behind my 5er since about 1999. I have not towed through the states that you mention, but I'll share my experiences and you can take them for what they are worth.

(SNIPPED)

Trailer brakes on that 5000# boat rig?

Surge brakes, most likely.

Personally, I'd like to know what Bionic Man did to beef up the frame on his FW to handle that trailer load.

Lyle

5er frame was reinforced all the way forward of the axles.

Done correctly, then. :B

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
richclover wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
The forum really is slow when you have this few of comments on what is always a hot topic that causes many to get their panties in a bunch.

I've towed a boat tandem behind my 5er since about 1999. I have not towed through the states that you mention, but I'll share my experiences and you can take them for what they are worth.

(SNIPPED)

Personally, I'd like to know what Bionic Man did to beef up the frame on his FW to handle that trailer load.

Lyle

5er frame was reinforced all the way forward of the axles.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
richclover wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:

(SNIPPED)

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the comments,,,,
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
f course there are.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:

Probably goes without saying, but towing tandem isn't for everyone. You really need to think ahead (stopping for fuel can be challenging), backing up is very difficult, and it is very hard on your equipment. I had a hitch custom fabricated to the back of my 5er, and then had it re-enforced later. I am sure I have towed tandem for over 50,000 miles. During that time I had the shackles holding the axles of my first 5er fail, I had the first hitch on the back of my 2nd 5er crack, and the weld on my fold away tongue on my boat crack. Maybe some of that would have happened without towing tandem, maybe not. Moral of the story, keep a close eye on all your components.

Towing tandem also degrades the ride within your truck. When you add the boat tongue weight to the back of the trailer you lose some pin weight (which never really was a problem), but you also create a fulcrum, and every bump you hit is magnified. Truck hits a bump, it bounces, then the 5er hits and it bounces, which bounces the truck, then the boat hits which bounces the 5er which bounces the truck. A good bump will go through the train a couple of times. I can pretty comfortably tow the 5er solo 12 hours a day, but add the second trailer, and at the end of a 12 hour day I am really wiped out.

I have not towed through any states that prohibit the practice, but I have been over length in most states. What my personal experience is (at least regarding that) is that LEO do not enforce that regulation.

The boat that I towed the most was a 21' sterndrive that I kept for about 10 years. It was about 5500 pounds going down the road, and is the most that I personally will tow. To me, the limitation isn't what the truck is capable of towing, it is the limitation of the strength of the frame on the 5er. I sold that boat back in 2014, replaced with a 23' inboard that weighs 7000 pounds, which I towed tandem once, and won't do again. When we go camping at the lake with that boat now, we take two vehicles. I do have a 17' Ranger fishing boat that weighs somewhere around 3000 pounds that I still tow tandem (which really is a LOT easier and much less noticeable).

To me, at least with a 5000 pound or less boat, towing tandem is still worth the trade offs of either not taking the boat, or taking a 2nd car. But, like I said, it isn't for everyone.

And to those that will tell you that you are at risk in an accident, and your insurance will deny a claim, I simply say read your policy. Insurance is regulated, and if there is a peril that is not covered it needs to be listed as an exclusion. I have never seen a policy exclusion of either towing a trailer tandem, or something that would deny a claim for an accident while breaking a law. Quite simply, insurance covers accidents, and it doesn't matter if you are towing tandem in a state that doesn't allow it, or towing over the weight rating of your truck, or speeding, or drunk (or all the above), an accident will be covered up to your limits of liability.

Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I double towed with a 2500 chevy....26' 5th wheel trailer....18' bass boat for eight years all over OK/TX/AR/MO/NM and southern CO. My combo length was 63'. I never kept up with the go fast crowd but never over 60 mph even on a interstate.
A word of advise.....when inquiring with a state DOT you will travel through don't ask about their triple tow requirements as this tells the officer your needing info on pulling three trailers.
For their purpose its a double tow.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Bird Freak wrote:
It is legal in Georgia as long as the second unit is towed behind a fifth wheel. Your problem will be length.

Same in AZ. FW first and ball or pintle second; no exceptions, per the law. In reality, I see contractors towing 2 utility trailers or a utility trailer and a mixer, relatively often. =Legally=, legal length is 65' from front bumper to center of the rear axle. Up to 10' of "overhang" from the center of the rear axle to the furthest rear point is "legal", giving an OAL of 75', per statute.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Well said Bionic Man. I've also towed a boat behind a 5W since 2004. Every winter from NW Missouri to somewhere in Texas. Be ready to plan ahead and stay alert.
But MO,AR,OK & TX allow it. It enough stress to tow where legal but add illegal, I'll stay west of the Mississippi.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is legal in Georgia as long as the second unit is towed behind a fifth wheel. Your problem will be length.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
Likes to tow wrote:
Lawyers got rich on this one!!

I doubt it, as it is legal in Colorado. I towed like this for years. Even had a State Patrol officer stop and help me with a tire change on I-225.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some folks don't

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Mallard: I've lived in Florida for 50 years now. You're right, I've seen "doubles" towed on interstates, typically I95 or I75. Let your conscience be your guide, and if you do here's a helpful hint. Though you're not commercial you would most likely draw the attention of an FHP commercial enforcement trooper. They drive both Chevy Tahoes and are also in Ford F-150's, with "COMMERCIAL ENFORCEMENT UNIT" emblazoned low on t
both sides of the vehicle. They wear dark blue uniforms unlike the regular tan uniforms other troopers wear.

Happy Trails. 🙂