cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

boondockerswelcome

thoms
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, Just asking, does anyone belong to Boondockerswelcome? I have never boondocked and thought this might be a way to start. I know this is not true BD but it might be a start. the reviews I read seem like a pretty good program. Is anyone a member and is it fairly safe to stay at a strangers place? Sounds like a nice way to get off the beaten path and meet fellow rvers. Any thoughts ?
Thanks for any input
15 REPLIES 15

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
This photo is of us boondock camping. It was also drycamping because we didn't have any hookups out there. If there had been hookups there we would have used them, but we would have still been camping in the boondocks:

2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I kind of hate to tell you this, but there are a lot of newer people that refer to any kind of dry camping as boondocking. As with so much else these days, the meaning of many words seems to be whatever whoever wants it to mean at that moment. (It seems this can change during the discussion - too.)

There is nothing new about this, there have always been folks who call Walmart camping: boondocking. And other who insist that boondocking means camping in the backcountry.
Frankly I'm happy to lets the Walmart group alone, there are way too many newbies flooding real boondocking spots. And many of them have no conception of boondocking behavior. They leave trash behind, camp too close to others and generally ruin the camping experience.
That is why you find people refusing to disclose their unpublished boondocking spots. Once it's on the internet that spot is ruined.
And thus people asking for a boondocking spot near some area get zero responses. I have adopted a policy of give one to get one, you tell me of a good spot and I will reciprocate, off line of course.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
There is a difference between not having hook ups and boondocking. When I boondock I am looking for a great, scenic location with a place to stay without a lot of other people. Otherwise, I can stay in a Walmart parking lot and call it boondocking.

Jim,

I kind of hate to tell you this, but there are a lot of newer people that refer to any kind of dry camping as boondocking. As with so much else these days, the meaning of many words seems to be whatever whoever wants it to mean at that moment. (It seems this can change during the discussion - too.)

An acquaintance contacted me and asked if there were any places to "boondock" in my area. There are none. Then he asked if there were Walmart or other places? To which I replied sure, more than a few. He was incensed that I did not understand that he could "boondock" at Walmart.....

We have really boondocked. It wasn't paved. There was no traffic to be heard.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a difference between not having hook ups and boondocking. When I boondock I am looking for a great, scenic location with a place to stay without a lot of other people. Otherwise, I can stay in a Walmart parking lot and call it boondocking.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Very early on I had a short discussion with the originators of Boondockers Welcome. They were well aware that it is not true boondocking. The thought behind it was that those that would use the service should be prepared to be completely self contained. The reason for the name is that they tried several, and this one had the nicest sound to it. I have to agree.

We have years of credits for hosting, but we just haven't been able to use any yet. Hope this year changes that.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have been BW hosts since the beginning and on more than one location to boot.

At home we have room for 2 units on ‘sites’ and have hosted up to 4 (folks travelling together) at once. Water & electric available.

On the farm we have multiple spots including two nice shady spots back by the river, no services. We also have several choices most with water & electric.

At the airport we also have a variety of spaces available.

BTW, for those that don’t yet know, Harvest Hosts bought out BW earlier this spring.

Grubworm
Explorer
Explorer
Have been a host since Boondockers welcome started. Have had over 30 campers stay with us some from foreign countries. Have enjoyed every one of them . Will stay a member even after we stop camping. Had one couple say with us for three days.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
Do you have electric hookups and is it boondocking??? Just curious.
If you have electric hook up, it's Not boondocking.

Hmmm .... isn't "boondocking" camping out in the boondocks? IAW, it's about the location where you're campng .... not about how your getting your power and water and septic.

As an extreme example just to make clear the real definition of it being about location - suppose a ranch owner installs a septic tank, a solar powered well, and a 3000 watt solar array way out in the middle of nowhere on their ranch and then spends a day here and there chilling out back there in an RV.

In that location they are "boondock" camping in an RV, but with full hookups for the RV. 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
NamMedevac 70 wrote:
If you have electric hook up, it's Not boondocking.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Camping in some strangers back yard just does not appeal.

I agree.. Something about that just isn't what I want to do. Heck, I don't even think I would enjoy a bed&breakfast where Im staying at someone's house.

Interesting concept though.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
We have been BW hosts almost since the beginning, we are in striking range to a big attraction and so we have a lot of traffic. It is a great way to meet interesting people.

We have been HH since the beginning and due to strange events have yet to take advantage of this. We are hoping to this year, but it looks kind of grim actually. Not HH's issue, but things just have not worked out.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a lifetime member, I think. Not too sure, I may have gotten a request to join when they first got started years ago. I don't recall any more. But I have never used it, or been tempted. Camping in some strangers back yard just does not appeal. But I get an occasional ,essage from them that makes it seem like they think I am a member.
You should be aware that they have been bought out by Harvest Hosts and even tho they say otherwise big changes will probably occur including rate annual jumps. So think about that before making any sort of long term commitment
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

MRC54
Explorer
Explorer
We are new fulltimers (3 months) and have already used BW 5 times. They have merged with Harvest Hosts but pledge to keep separate. Our experience has been nothing but positive. As is the norm in the RV community, the people (hosts) have been amazing. More than helpful, anxious to provide a positive experience. So far, we prefer BW to HH due to the availability of more than one night (sometimes up to 5). Also, more and more BW have some type of hookups. Some have 50amp, some even have sewer hookups.

We do our best to adhere to the '3' rule. No more than 300 miles, and/or done by 3pm. So, when traveling from Washington to Wisconsin at the end of August, we will take our time, staying in various BW for a night or two (or more) along the way.
2021 Keystone Alpine 3712KB
2009 Sierra 3500 DRW

Full timing starting May 1