Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Anyone have an all elec. car
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Anyone have an all elec. car

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Dozer

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am considering one, your opinions good and bad would be greatly appreciated.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, running out of power when you need to go someplace would be as bad as running out of gas when you need to go someplace. EV owners learn to plan their longer travels around driving range and charging stations, just as fossil fueled vehicle owners plan around mileage and fuel stations. As more and more conventional fuel stations add charging stations, the availability just gets better.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have one but they sure are popular around here. I must see about a half a dozen Tesla's per day. Given that the average person drives much less than 200 miles/day, I can certainly see their merit. That said, EV's aren't the silver bullet to saving the environment they would have you believe. Sure the net fuel consumption from power plants to produce the electric needed to charge them is less than dino fuel usage. But the ecological impact from mining products needed for parts and batteries is pretty high. The caustic chemicals required to produce them and the waste from those chemicals and materials is hardly eco friendly. And they have yet to figure out what to do with all those batteries in a few years when they will need replaced. The batteries are considered hazardous waste and there will be a LOT of them.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I look at it as much the same as the early days of engine powered cars. The steam cars could run on kerosene and as lamp oil it was available, but gasoline often had to be shipped in by rail as 5 gallon cans.

When I was much younger, an older person was telling me of barn finds of pre-brass era cars that were pushed into the barn when they had run out of fuel....

AAA has two services for electrics. One is a roll-back with a big generator to take you and the car where you need to go while charging the car. The other is a conventional car (I am told some are CNG powewred) with a good sized diesel generator to recharge your car where it is.

And to top this all off, in California they are asking people to not charge their cars during the hot times because the grid is overloaded.

Matt - who does not foresee the day he will be able to afford an electric car and doesn't really care.

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck stop in Perry Fl. is adding six charging ports over by the restaurant . I must assume many locations will be opening up charging sites . There are several TTs in Florida being pulled by Tesla s.

d1h

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/21 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't seem very practical yet, at least for long trips. Maybe way in the future they might be. Plus who wants to sit around at a charging station, if you can find one, for hours waiting for your vehicle to fully charge? A cross country trip would take forever. I'll take my gas powered vehicle any day. Electric might be fine for just in town trips only.

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan to replace my ICE car with a BEV when the time comes. I'd prefer a 4-down towable one, but dolly towable is okay. I take maybe one longer trip a year in my car so the inconvenience of charging during a trip would be very minimal, and really just a matter of planning ahead some. It would be akin to trips in an RV with a TOAD where one needs to do a little planning to figure out fuel stops that can accommodate the vehicle ahead of time.

2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d1h wrote:

Don't seem very practical yet, at least for long trips. Maybe way in the future they might be. Plus who wants to sit around at a charging station, if you can find one, for hours waiting for your vehicle to fully charge? A cross country trip would take forever. I'll take my gas powered vehicle any day. Electric might be fine for just in town trips only.

Your looking at it though the lens of an RV'er. Most people drive much less than 200 miles/day. EV's target market aren't people that travel or commute long distances in their car.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/21 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was in the market to replace the car IC would not be on the list at all. In over 10 years, if the round trip was close to 200 miles most likely take camper, so need the pickup.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/21 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This Car & Driver article has some good info on the author's long distance trip experience in his Tesla 3. The comments have some good tips from other Tesla owners that would have made the author's experience even better:

Tesla Model 3 Road Trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Anyone have an all elec. car
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.