cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should Be Simple But..

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
My friends Prowler 5th wheel has a unique problem that should be SIMPLE to solve BUT it is not... They have an internal water leak in the area of the furnace, exterior shower.. They haven't been able to pull panels and inspect hose fittings BUT the leak only occurs when connected to park water (55 psi).. if they fill the tank and use the trailers internal pump.. no leak.. without a plumbing diagram hard to tell what goes where but both sources supply about the same PSI??? Just looking for ideas before he starts disassembly..
11 REPLIES 11

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Weldon wrote:
DD716 any follow up to the leak?

The person I am trying to help is very slow at getting anything done.. the 5th wheel is totally dry now and within the next few days he will turn the pump on for several hours and then check for water where it was wet before..
As soon as we determine anything, I will update.. On top of that, his refrigerator coils leaked/failed and he will have a repair facility replace cooling system (when part arrives) ..

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
DD716 any follow up to the leak?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
old guy wrote:
it coould be that you just need a pressure regulator

OK, but you STILL have a leak. The system should withstand 100 psi of pressure with no leaks. The water pump is 45 psi. That extra 10 lbs may be enough to leak thru the problem connection. Doug

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
DD716TED wrote:
They have an internal water leak in the area of the furnace, exterior shower.

Have they verified that this is actually where the leak is coming from or is this just why they are finding the water?

Leaks can be tricky. When we bought our Destination Trailer back in 2017, we found water leaking into the kitchen from the end of the counter shortly after we took delivery. Looking under the counter, the water just appeared, in the middle of the floor. It turns out, the water was coming from the half bath's hot water connection at the sink. This was 10 feet away from where the puddle was. There was no water between the sink and where the puddle started. The water flowed along the pex from the sink to where the puddle started, which happened to be where a tee in the pex was.

Over the years we have found puddles which was the result of a leaking connection at a sink or toilet. In our Class C, we found a leak while traveling, coming from the hot water heater's hot water line connection. In most cases the connection would just be a little loose, so I disconnected the line, put some thread tape on and retighten.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's nice of you to try to help your friend. It is simple to solve but the panels will have to come out or down to begin with. The panels will come out easily and is the necessary first step in any diag for this problem. Or they could call a mobile tech.
Puma 30RKSS

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Can you take the external shower cover off so you can look inside and see the water lines there? I had a leak in this area twice and was able to repair there.

If you run the water pump in the unit that water travels thru the same pipes. Leave it on long enough water should appear somewhere.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dusty R wrote:
There's a check valve between where the park water hooks, and where it hooks to the the RV water system, the leak between those two points.

I discovered the hard way about that check valve and on my unit anyway, it is on the fitting that you connect the hose to. I suspect that is standard since the fittings all seem to be the same. It is an easy swap, a couple of screws and the fitting is screwed on. That whole fitting is probably less than 3 or 4 inches long.

fittings
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
it coould be that you just need a pressure regulator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok the only part of the pressure side of the system UNIQUE to "park" water is the connector. The check valve is in the inlet connector.

There are also check valves in the pump but the OUTLET side is one of them so the other one (if it exists) does not count

If you are getting a leak on Park Water only.. I have no clue
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
There's a check valve between where the park water hooks, and where it hooks to the the RV water system, the leak between those two points.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn on pump and leave it on so there is constant pressure just like being connected to "park water" for a few hours. If no leak then you know the leak is on the "park water" supply. That will help narrow it down a bit.