cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to improve a primitive RV site to rent it out?

Dacks_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. This is my first time on the forum and I need some advice. I own some property in the Adirondack mountains in upstate New York and I have four camp sites that I’m considering leasing out to RVers. I’d like to get your advice on how I could make these sites attractive to RV campers, ideally leased out for a whole season to the same person so I only need to do check-in/check-out once a year and the person has a sense of ownership in the site. The problem is that right now these are truly primitive sites – there are no bathrooms, no power hookups, no potable water, no structures, no staff on site, no wifi, and limited cell service, so I don’t know how appealing these sites would be to the typical RVer. I definitely can’t add on-site electricity or well water, so I’m hoping to get input on whether you think somebody would want to rent them as-is and what kind of improvements would be most helpful to make them rentable. I apologize in advance if this post isn’t allowed on the forum since it’s potentially commercial (I couldn’t tell), but I’m not going to show photos or be too specific about where I’m located so that no one mistakes this for an ad.

Let me describe them with enough detail to get your advice:

General location: The sites are in gorgeous woods on the edge of a very touristy area of the Adirondacks. Nothing is exactly nearby, but it’s 15 minutes to the nearest grocery store, 25 and 35 minute scenic drives to two major resort towns, and in the middle of tremendous hiking, paddling, fishing, and biking areas. There are dozens of real tourist destinations within 30 minutes drive. All of the sites are surrounded by many acres of hikeable forest with wildlife including loons, deer, moose, foxes, fishers, and black bears, plus this is a great place to see fall foliage. The temperature tends to be in the 70s and low 80s all summer, with cool evenings in the low 60s. Montreal is 2 hours away, and New York and Boston are both about 5 hours away.

Site 1: Directly on a quiet mountain lake with a great view. It is a level grassy clearing in pine woods that’s about 100’ x 70’ with 70’ of lakefront that would let you swim, fish, or launch a kayak from your own site. It’s at the end of a long dirt road that can handle basically any size vehicle but it gets tricky if you meet someone coming the other way – I would guess you’d want to minimize the number of times you drive the RV in and out, so it would be great if you have a car too for local trips. Its only existing infrastructure is a fire ring. I would imagine you could pull straight into the site and turn around to exit pretty easily in any size RV.

Site 2: Directly on a quiet mountain lake with a spectacular view that is at the end of a long but easily navigable dirt road. It’s a level, pine needle-strewn clearing about 50’ x 30’ with about 30 feet of shoreline that requires a bit of a scramble to get down to it but has a sandy section that could support swimming, fishing, and drawing up a kayak. It has no existing infrastructure. I would imagine you could turn a travel trailer around in the site without much trouble, but a large RV you’d want to turn around on the road and back in/out.

Site 3: A 65’ x 45’ clearing in the woods that has no view but is located above a large waterfall so you constantly hear the falling water. There’s a short but steep trail down to the Saranac River for fishing or hiking. The lake is a short walk from the site – you could carry or wheel a kayak to the water if you wanted to. A nice thing about this site is that it’s located immediately off a low-traffic paved road so access is very easy. I would expect you could turn around any size RV in this site, though maybe you’ll tell me otherwise.

Site 4: A roughly 100’ x 50’ clearing in the woods on a hill overlooking a gorgeous lake with a view of Whiteface Mountain. It connects to extensive trails that would work for hiking or mountain-biking, but it has no direct lake access. It is directly off a paved road so getting in and out would be easy. It has an old shed I could fix up to make it usable. You would pull straight into the site and I expect you could turn around inside it with any size RV. The other three camp sites are ready to go but this one needs me to brush it out and improve the steep dirt driveway a bit, so I’m also trying to decide if I should prioritize getting this one into rentable condition or improve the others first.

Here are some improvements I’m considering for any or all of the sites. Please let me know how much you think these would add to the desirability of the sites and whether you expect it would be worth the investment:

1. I could install outhouses on the sites. Otherwise the closest place to dump the black water tanks is probably a campground with a public dump station 20 minutes away. Well-built outhouses might cost me $3500 per site.
2. I could add picnic tables and fire rings. This would cost about $500-700 per camp.
3. I could build a tent platform or small enclosed storage for about $500 per camp.
4. I could (reluctantly) add a gravel pad, but I’m not sure I understand why it would matter on hard rocky ground.
5. I could place gas grills on each site for about $500 per site, though that would introduce the need for me to take them in and out of storage for the winter.
6. I could provide some kind of outdoor wash basin with a drain and a little counter space to put a water carboy on for washing dishes (maybe $500 per site to do it well).
7. I could provide some permanent infrastructure at each site like a large propane tank to supply a generator or potable water tank for the campers’ use. This would cost roughly $700 per tank per site.
8. I could build an outdoor shower using collected rainwater for about $300 per site.
9. I could offer multi-year leases so that people could leave stuff in the camp site from year to year (though the RV itself would need to leave for the winter).
10. I could include about two acres of woods around each campsite in the lease.

Realistically, most of these options are fairly expensive compared to the rent they would generate and would only be worth it if they would really help me attract long-term campers and eventually recoup my investment. Which improvements do you think are most helpful?

I know it’s difficult to judge price without knowing the exact location or seeing photos, but I’d also like to get a sense of what you’d expect to pay for a site like this as-is or with improvements. I hope to rent them out for the full season of Memorial Day to mid-October (roughly 21 weeks). I haven’t found seasonal rates anywhere nearby, but I know the two nearby commercial campgrounds charge $350/week and $450/week for their cheapest sites with just water and electric and they are usually full all summer though of course they have a lot of other amenities. The nearby state campground charges $126/week for primitive back-in sites for up to 20’ vehicles with no hookups, so kind of like my sites, but they also have a dump station and shared bathroom facilities. My sites are way more private and beautiful than any of those places but are totally off the grid. There are not many places for public RV boondocking in the Adirondacks, so I don’t need to compete with that. Given all this information, what would you expect my annual rental price to be for the property as-is? What if I added outhouses, picnic tables, wash basins, propane storage, and outdoor showers?

Thanks for reading to the end!
28 REPLIES 28

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, and it's not just the RV'rs - the tenters will just be pooping in the woods around the campsites, which is why outhouses are something to think about!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
FWC wrote:
Quite frankly, I think you would do better positioning these as 'glamping' locations for tent campers than RV sites. Assuming you live in the 'daks I am sure you know that all the DEC areas are completely full and that even dispersed and backcounty camping is really hard to come by. Folks coming up for a long weekend would pay a premium to know they have a reserved, private, 'wilderness' campsite.

Market these as 'wilderness lite', maybe install a small platform with some sort of rain cover, or a lean to, a fire pit (hole in the ground with some rocks) with a few Adirondack chairs and a latrine. Take some over saturated photos at dusk (photoshop out the black flies) with bearded 30 somethings sitting in the Adirondack chairs around the fire with Woolrich and Rumpl blankets, drinking Saranac or a Moscow Mule. All up, it would be a few thousand dollars to improve each site, then I would think you could get $200 per weekend night with the hipster down state crowd. Most folks would probably only stay 2-3 nights, but you could make your investment back in one season. It would all be about the marketing.

FWC has a pretty good plan! Just include space for a camper along with everything above. The tent platform can be used as a nice sitting area if someone comes in with a camper. The advertising ideas are spot on (lol!), except the $200 a night is pushing it. Although, there is that thing in marketing where sometimes you actually sell better if you raise the price "too" high - people just perceive it as being better if it is more expensive.

Dacks Camper - how far away do you live? Because you will have to check the campsites after they have been used, and if there is a long time between uses you will have to check them every time before renting.

Also, at a minimum people with campers will dump their grey water at the site... if it isn't done constantly it is not too bad, but... when they dump grey, their black tank valve may "accidentally" open up. Or all this accidental dumping may occur a little ways along the access road. Ooops!

I know everyone here are paragons of virtue, I'm talking about "the other guys".

Interesting plan and ideas, keep us updating on how it goes. I am actually very interested in what you have to do in dealing with government bureaucracy!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mel Stuplich wrote:
Methinks that any experienced/dedicated 'boondocker' will love those sites UNIMPROVED.

Yep! Never mind "leasing" or "renting" out your sites. Advertise them as isolated remote, beautiful, serene, quiet, safe and secure, primitive boondocking campsites that must be reserved ahead of time for, say, 3-night minimum stays.

RV folks that don't need or care for the "hookup camping culture" would love access to campsites like this! If you could set up some kind of convenient reservation system for the sites, they should be full just about every day - maybe even in the winter.

Higher than "normal campsite pricing" would probably work just fine. Campers with RV satellite systems could of course have online access when using the sites.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a great weekend getaway but that would be all for me.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mel Stuplich wrote:
Methinks that any experienced/dedicated 'boondocker' will love those sites UNIMPROVED.

boondocking is usually free. This gentleman wishes to sell access to the sites on a seasonal basis.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instead of 4 dispersed sites I would create 4-5 sites on the lake with power and water with the best access, plus the 3 off the grid sites. A centrally located tank for dumping the black which is pumped out as needed for the 4-5 improved sites… blueboy to it.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

FWC
Explorer
Explorer
Quite frankly, I think you would do better positioning these as 'glamping' locations for tent campers than RV sites. Assuming you live in the 'daks I am sure you know that all the DEC areas are completely full and that even dispersed and backcounty camping is really hard to come by. Folks coming up for a long weekend would pay a premium to know they have a reserved, private, 'wilderness' campsite.

Market these as 'wilderness lite', maybe install a small platform with some sort of rain cover, or a lean to, a fire pit (hole in the ground with some rocks) with a few Adirondack chairs and a latrine. Take some over saturated photos at dusk (photoshop out the black flies) with bearded 30 somethings sitting in the Adirondack chairs around the fire with Woolrich and Rumpl blankets, drinking Saranac or a Moscow Mule. All up, it would be a few thousand dollars to improve each site, then I would think you could get $200 per weekend night with the hipster down state crowd. Most folks would probably only stay 2-3 nights, but you could make your investment back in one season. It would all be about the marketing.

Dacks_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I learned a lot from this thread and clearly need to re-think the value of these sites to RVers. There's a clear consensus that I need to get fire rings, insurance (was already working on that), and maybe picnic tables in place to make these sites plausible for rental, so that answered my main question. But I also understand better that there won't be much interest in seasonal rentals from RVers if I don't have water and power, so I need to reconsider either my rental model or my target customers. Thank you all for your input!

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I could see table and fire ring only. Fire ring mostly so any fire is in the same place every visit... and for limited safety.

I would go with 2 week max stay once a year long before a year lease. Eviction can be an issue once you go over 30 days.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
I could see a group of friends renting for the purposes of having an isolated spot to party on the weekend. Racing around 4 wheelers, keg parties, target shooting, fireworks etc. would be the plan. With no one around to see or hear it might be worth a couple of hundred a month to some people. That may or may not bother you as the property owner. Where it gets really dicey, however, is when someone gets hurt and the lawyers go looking for someone to sue. A landlord who doesn't actively manage his properties is a good place to start.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there a local guy that pumps septic? That same guy might even want to include water delivery (no...not using the same truck...LOL). That would take care of 2/3 of RV'ers needs.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dacks Camper wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
For seasonal camping, you really need to offer the basics: electricity, water and sewer. All the other stuff is fluff. Without those three items, it will not be enticing for folks to stay 3 months.

That's a fair point. I guess I wasn't imagining that anyone would camp there continuously for three months, more like someone who lived close enough to go back and forth for long weekends and vacations. Maybe I really should be looking for locals who want a place to set up a camper for the summer and just drive out when they feel like it. Or maybe I need to revisit whether it's worth it for me to do shorter rentals where the lack of hookups is less of an issue.

toedtoes wrote:

if they have to drive their RV to get fresh water every 2-5 days, they aren't going to bother staying for a summer.

There is really no way I could get water or power to these sites for a reasonable cost. Do you think it would solve the problem to have a potable water tank (filled by a vendor) to refill the tanks from?

Thanks for you suggestions on the rest!

I don't see the seasonal site as viable. Seasonal people aren't going to want to hook up to get water and dump the tanks every weekend. As mentioned, they are going to want to leave the fridge running and have a charged battery bank at a minimum.

Weekenders might be viable but it likely won't be enough to cover the property taxes let alone the hassle of weekly maintenance (mowing, collecting trash, fixing wash outs in the roads, etc...).

Triple check with every govt agency you can find...just because one says it's fine, doesn't mean a different agency won't prohibit it.

I guess I would come back to: what is the goal of setting up these camp sites?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
For a similar situation, check out what happens every winter in Quartzsite Arizona. Quartzsite is a small town in western AZ, with a population of about 1200, and one traffic light. During the winter the population swells to about 500,000, most of it out in the middle of the government owned dessert. Only thing the government provides is a dump station and potable water source. Other than that, there is dirt! Last time we stayed there, the cost was about $180 for the whole season or less than $1 a day. Check it out for some ideas.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog