cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

alarm

dennis1949
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 GMC 3/4 ton truck. Just purchased it. Old 2012 dd not have this problem.
It brings in an intermitted alarm on dash that says check trailer wiring. The longest it has stayed on has been about 5 seconds. I have checked all connections and they seem good..
It is like the alarm threshold is set a hair to sensitive. It does not matter what the road conditions are
Have no idea what to check next and ideas would be helpful

ROLL TIDE
Dennis Carpenter
Decatur Alabama
2012 GMC 3/4 ton Z71 Diesel
2016 Forest River Blue Ridge. 3045 RL
4 REPLIES 4

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
ktmrfs wrote:
the trailer brake controller looks for a resistance range for the connected trailer brake wiring. if it is outside the range it rings the alarm.

The range should be adequate for single through triple axle configurations.

Now, I've found that on occasion the cause can be that the TV or trailer connector was wet messing up the reading.

This information is correct - I have found that using dielectric grease typically solves the problems. However, it can also be a bigger problem and there could be a bad sensor somewhere. I had to have one replaced this past winter. Can't remember what sensor that was.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
the trailer brake controller looks for a resistance range for the connected trailer brake wiring. if it is outside the range it rings the alarm.

The range should be adequate for single through triple axle configurations.

Now, I've found that on occasion the cause can be that the TV or trailer connector was wet messing up the reading.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
"Checked" how? Visual inspections are rarely useful.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check each brake connection at the axles?
Does your umbilical cord have a molded connector? If it does replace it.
Have you checked connections on trailer junction box where brake away connects into system?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker