cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

House sitting

shannon62
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, i was wondering if any one ever done house sitting, and if so did it work out like you thought it would & do you have any info of good web sites or any other info we could use, we are going fulltime in hoping to be a year or two. We were thinking of doing something like this, as always we appreciate any info, Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
We did pet/house sitting for a couple of years. Mostly it was good pets and good houses, but there were a couple of bad houses (off grid or not well maintained) and some pets that were a problem (little dog and to many cats) After a while you learn what questions to ask and what standards to set. We registered with https://www.housesittersamerica.com/ and https://theinternationalhousesitters.com/ There are others and they are all pretty much the same. As a sitter you pay a fee to be vetted and then can communicate with people that want a sitter. If you want a sitter it is generally free and only the vetted sitters can contact you--in theory. After a few sits you may get invited back without going through the web site and you may make some friends worth keeping.
Turret Class traveler

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to have someone housesit and petsit while I traveled. For me, the trick was finding a responsible person who shared their home with a big family or lots of roommates. That way, they saw the stay as a break, not as a chore. It worked well.

Lots of vet techs will do petsitting/housesitting. If you have pets left at home, that can come in handly.

If you have neighbors with older kids, you could try that route. The teen enjoys staying in "their own place" but the parents are there for any problems that may occur.

One rule I always put in place:

No visitors unless preapproved by me. If they had a good friend that I knew, I would give them permission to have that person stay over as much as they wanted. Otherwise, I did not want people I don't know going into my house and checking out my stuff. While I trusted that person, I didn't know how they might bring along and if that person could be trusted.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Most we ever did was swap houses with neighbors of sister in law in Australia. They used our house and we used theirs. A glorious two months! Driving did scare the **** out of me as the area had tiny roads that we would call a one lane road and they squeeze two into it.
2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Many groups on Facebook by state as well as international. We house sit in Mexico for ex-pats.

House & Pet Sitting On Facebook
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
We know a few who have done it but it was always someone they know.

Also, I suspect airbnb has undercut the market for house sitters...make someone pay you to house sit.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We hire someone to check the house once a week when we're gone. They check inside and out and will run necessary appliances. We have a larger mailbox which they empty. The house water is turned on and off and irrigation is on a independent valve.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob