cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cargo carriers

beeman1
Explorer
Explorer
Which is betters hitch mounted or bumper mounted carrier? Has anyone attached a cargo carrier directly the frame where the receiver hitch is attached to the frame? Thank you
4 REPLIES 4

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have for years used a cargo carrier on my class IV hitch used to tow 4500 lb travel trailer with no problems. Carrier is rated for 500lbs from HF but I never go that high as there is no need. The class IV husky hitch was installed with bolts years ago by a welding shop. Used same hitch on my Ram 2500 V10 and another Ram 1500 with good service (3 separate hitches).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I had my bumper replaced with a custom made carrier. Before that I had a rack in the hitch for about 18 years with no problems--it held a Kipor Ti3000 generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Off the top of my head I think you need to watch the extra load on the hitch assembly, don't overload, the OEM mounting bolts . I believe their is a rating involved.
I'm not too sure about using the bumper which is really a tube to carry the sewer hose. I know it's a lot more beefy than most TT bumper/hose carriers but IMO, its a weak part of the setup. Mine is supported to the frame but its a thin tube sitting on brackets. I would not use it .

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is the weight rating for your bumper? How much weight do you plan to carry? How much does the carrier weigh?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad