cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow dolly brakes

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that use a tow dolly, which brake system do you prefer and why. I'm referring to electric vs. surge.

I'm about to to pull the trigger on a class A, and will be needing a dolly.

Thanks for your replies.

Skip
KillingTime
11 REPLIES 11

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
We used a RoadMaster 2000-1 for around 20,000 miles towing a Buick LeSabre. We liked the electric brakes because they would hold when stopped going uphill while the surge brakes won't.

If you have a motorhome built on a Ford chassis a brake controller is a plug and play device. We used a Tekonsha P2 controller.

The P2 for all intents and purposes has been replaced by the P3. Also the 2000-1 dolly is no longer manufactured. It was a great dolly, in fact the one we purchased in 2001 is still being used by a friend to this day. I think their demise was mainly due to cost. Shortly before they were phased out the retail price was in the $3,700.00 range. There are a lot of dollies on the market for a lot less money'

RoadMaster currently makes a dolly with a swivel plate. The original 2000-1 had steerable wheels that would follow in the tracks of the rear wheels on the motorhome.

Tweety's still offers the original model for a little over $3,800.00.

https://tweetys.com/roadmaster-2000-1-premium-adjustable-tow-dolly-with-self-steering-wheels-and-electric-brakes.aspx

As an FYI we stopped using the dolly in about 2005. It seemed pointless to tow the Buick half way across the country, then park it in the campground when we rented a jeep for off roading. Often times the Buick got 20 miles or less on the odometer over the course of a 2 week trip. In 2005 we purchased a Jeep Wrangler that we still tow 4 down today.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
WJ I am 80 and a dolly will serve you well with or without brakes. We usually carry a Smart car but have also carried our Toyota Camry, and Honda CRV. Be careful the ratchets on the straps don't interfear with the bumper or spoiler. Pain when the ratchet gets stuck there

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I wish I was 70!
Think about hitch for Toyota. Saves some hassles on moving dolly!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.

Thanks for all the input. I'm leaning toward the surge brakes, as they have served me well on my boat trailers.

My only concern now is that I'm rapidly approaching 70, and I don't bend as well as I did a few years back. And, we have a fairly new Toyota, and I really don't need the extra cost of trading vehicles for a four wheel down dingy plus braking system.

Thanks again...You guys are great!

Skip
KillingTime

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
In over 50 years and 4 dollies I have never had one with any kind of brakes. Never had a problem but all my DPs were big enough to stop the toad. You have an entry level gasser that don't weigh much you will probably need the brakes but I also don't like surge brakes.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest if you decide on a dolly of any type, install a small hitch on your toad so you can move he dolly around.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Terryallan wrote:
Thing about some surge brake setups. You can't back up to well. some come with a pin to install to keep the brakes from coming on when backing. Other wise the tongue can compress and activate the surge brakes.

You can't really back up with a dolly without brakes either so it's kind of a moot point.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thing about some surge brake setups. You can't back up to well. some come with a pin to install to keep the brakes from coming on when backing. Other wise the tongue can compress and activate the surge brakes.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Class A camping style usually makes surge brakes the better choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Surge brakes!
Can be used with any rig without special equipment like brake control.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
Had a dolly with surge brakes and it was great. No special hookups and they were there when needed most. Just hook up dolly and go. Had a couple emergency braking situations and the surge brakes helped get me stopped.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad