Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BATTERIES PLUS BULBS

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
This sent to BATTERIES PLUS BULBS
“I bought 4 AGM 12V batteries for my Motorhome at a cost upwards of $1000 in July of 2016.
At that time, the manager cited all the Benefits for purchasing these expensive batteries and for giving me a 60 month full replacement warranty.
Story short and now that they need replaced, the present manager Chad has came up with every excuse possible for not honoring this written agreement and for basically saying that this past manager didn't know what he was doing by giving me that warranty.
He then gave me his District Manager's email address of marc.pfister@batteriesplus.com and I've yet to hear back from him. In fact, I don't expect to, which again doesn't look well for your company.
As you well know, this wouldn't fly in any court of law and I would expect a company of your size to make this good. After all, it's not worth all the bad publicity that will be forthcoming and considering what you spend on advertising alone. I do hope this can be resolved before taking any further action”.
The above has been sent to the Better Business Bureau who has been in contact with them and to no avail or even an attempt at a solution, but will maintain my complaint on their website for 3 yrs. The BBC has also recommended sending my complaint, which I’ve also done, to the:
Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade & Consumer Protection
Bureau of Consumer Protection
2811 Agriculture Dr
PO Box 8911
Madison WI 53708-8911
(800) 422-7128
(608) 224-5058 V/TTY
Email: DATCPHotline@wisconsin.gov
My recommendation after having dealt with this company and with comparing it to others in my lifetime, would be to stay far far away from them.
If you’re in need of auto, golf cart or AGM batteries, try Rural King for much less cost and for getting a real warranty.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)
23 REPLIES 23

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Thermoguy wrote:
I think the moral of the story - get it in writing and keep your receipts. Good job getting what you paid for.

Thank You! Doing my own load test now with the power off, inverter on and with a couple of fridges going. Also flushed the Tecma toliet a couple of times, while cleaning it up some. All good so far.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the moral of the story - get it in writing and keep your receipts. Good job getting what you paid for.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
oliviaolivv0101 wrote:
I note with interest today they are offering a four year replacement warranty on a Duracell AGM.

Yes, that's the norm for those, but who says that they have to honor it?. I had a manager's special on top of that, according to them at the time. Naturally that's all forgotten now, which makes it convenient for them.
Lawyers are the only ones these kind of people understand.

UPDATE:
Well after months of persistence, Batteries Plus Bulbs have finally came around to my line of thinking on this warranty denial.
Batteries were replaced today and was able to install them back into my coach this afternoon. All $1519.00 worth in fact.
I would be a fool to believe that their WI headquarters under pressure from the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection agency, along with the Florida Attorney General didn't have anything to do with it, however.
As for the local store the manager he has always been civil about it and for only following orders from his superiors.
Sooooooooo.....alls well that ends well as they say and I should be good to go for awhile now.
Thanks to all who agreed and sided with me and to the no Sayers, possibly you've learned something here.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
oliviaolivv0101 wrote:
I note with interest today they are offering a four year replacement warranty on a Duracell AGM.

Yes, that's the norm for those, but who says that they have to honor it?. I had a manager's special on top of that, according to them at the time. Naturally that's all forgotten now, which makes it convenient for them.
Lawyers are the only ones these kind of people understand.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
atsrmf wrote:
The warranty should be honored, it was a basis for you to buy the batteries and you trusted them. It doesn't matter what the original manager said or did, you have the paperwork.

My point exactly.

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
The warranty should be honored, it was a basis for you to buy the batteries and you trusted them. It doesn't matter what the original manager said or did, you have the paperwork.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
atsrmf wrote:
The Cadillac is a 2013 and came with an AGM battery from the factory. I'm no electrical engineer, but from what I have read an AGM can be overcharged with some vehicles. I don't have the answer, only suggestions.

I'm not concerned about any of that, at this point, just for the company to honor their written agreement. You should have all been there, when that manager gave it to me. Good salesman anyway.
Right now, it's also in the hands of the FL Attorney General for making some waves if not for anything else.
The company's franchise owner must be hurting pretty bad if a $1000 + is worth all this hassle to him. Even for me, it's mainly the principle of the thing.

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
The Cadillac is a 2013 and came with an AGM battery from the factory. I'm no electrical engineer, but from what I have read an AGM can be overcharged with some vehicles. I don't have the answer, only suggestions.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

Guessing so, it's called the GEL setting.
So, your Caddy has a special setting for AGM batteries.

NO. Charging algorithms for AGM batteries are very close to those for wet cell batteries, NOT gel batteries.

And, if you don't have the optional battery temperature sensor for your inverter/charger, you will need to re-program it as seasons change. Said another way, a fully charged battery in below freezing conditions will be very unhappy at 90 degrees F (and visa versa).

As far as I know it's charging the same and for the wet cells as well, keeping in mind that the starting batteries are wet cell and are all in parallel for a good bit of the time.
Thing is, this coach came with 4 AGM 12v house batteries and 2 maintenance free starting batteries and for the same as it has now, so however it was was set by the OEM, it's still that way using the same inverter/converter.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

NO. Charging algorithms for AGM batteries are very close to those for wet cell batteries, NOT gel batteries.

And, if you don't have the optional battery temperature sensor for your inverter/charger, you will need to re-program it as seasons change. Said another way, a fully charged battery in below freezing conditions will be very unhappy at 90 degrees F (and visa versa).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
atsrmf wrote:
Does your motorhome have a charging system designed for AGM batteries? The fact that all 4 failed at the same time tells me that may be where the problem is. AGM batteries should easily last 5 years, the one in my Cadillac is over 7 years old.

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Does your motorhome have a charging system designed for AGM batteries? The fact that all 4 failed at the same time tells me that may be where the problem is. AGM batteries should easily last 5 years, the one in my Cadillac is over 7 years old.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
When did you make the claim? It's been 60 months since you bought those batteries, so the warranty is now up.

I reported it in plenty of time and have that in writing as well.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
When did you make the claim? It's been 60 months since you bought those batteries, so the warranty is now up.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3